Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Chemical Physics Minor

Effective Fall 2012


The Chemical Physics Academic Minor is not open to students concentrating in Biochemistry, Biomolecular Science, Biophysics, Interdisciplinary Chemical Sciences or Chemistry.

Students electing a minor within the Department of Chemistry may only elect ONE of the five minors offered by the Department.


Students develop a plan for the major in consultation with a program advisor. Those interested in a B.S. degree with a major in Chemical Science (120 credits) or the specialized program leading to the Bachelor of Science in Chemistry (124 credits) are urged to consult a program advisor during the freshman and/or sophomore years. Prospective majors are advised that further study in chemistry requires adequate performance in early chemistry courses (preferably B- or better) as well as in the mathematics and physics prerequisites. Students interested in an Honors degree should see the Chemistry Honors advisor. Appointments are scheduled online at Students interested in the joint program with the College of Engineering should make an appointment with John Stratman [Academic Advising Center, 1255 Angell Hall, 734.764.0332] and then make an appointment to see a chemistry department advisor online.

Grade Policies

The department strongly recommends that a student earn a grade of at least C– in all CHEM courses and mathematics, physics, and biology courses that are prerequisite for subsequent elections. A major program grade point average of at least 2.0 is required; this includes chemistry courses, mathematics, physics, and biology prerequisites, and advanced electives that are part of a major plan. Prerequisites must be taken for a grade. Students must request any change in a chemistry course grade within the first fifteen University Business days of the first full term following the term in which the disputed grade was issued.


MATH 215, or equivalent; PHYSICS 235, 240, or equivalent.


Minimum Credits: 18

At least 18 credits of courses as follows: CHEM 130,* CHEM 210/211, CHEM 260 or CHEM 370, CHEM 461, CHEM 462, CHEM 463 or 453.

*Students who do not place into CHEM 210 are strongly recommended to take CHEM 130. Neither CHEM 130, nor AP credits earned for CHEM 130, count toward the academic minor.