Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Current Students: Transferring Credit into LSA

Current U-M students and incoming transfer students can check course equivalencies by using the Transfer Credit Equivalency search. Transfer credit may be posted as an exact equivalent to a U-M course, departmental credit, or interdepartmental credit.

If you don't see a course listed in the search results, there is a process for having it evaluated.   Be sure to review all transfer credit policies and procedures before registering for a course at another school.  Current students hoping to use transfer credit to meet U-M requirements must consult with a general or department advisor in advance.

Transfer Credit Equivalencies listed on this page are for college students only; high school students, depending on individual circumstances, may or may not receive transfer credit for courses if elected while in high school.

These resources will tell you if a course will transfer, but how the credit will work in your degree is more complicated.

Here are three warnings about interpreting the information correctly.

  1. The credit hours posted to the U-M transcript are usually the number of credits granted at the offering institution.  There are exceptions; for example, please see Transfer Credit from a Quarter-Calendar School if you're taking classes at a school on the quarter system.
  2. Basic foreign language credits do transfer here, but these equivalencies show how the College will evaluate language courses for students entering LSA for the first time.  Once a student has started coursework in the College, language departments do not allow courses from elsewhere to meet the language requirement without special permission.
  3. Study Abroad transcripts from China: Students must arrange for an official university transcript report to be sent directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by the China Academic Degree and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC), 18th floor, B-17, Tongfang Scientific Plaza, No. 1, Wangzhuang Road, Haidian District, Beijing 100083, China, Tel: 86-10-82379480, Fax: 86-10-823778718, , Website:

If a course you'd like to take isn't listed, you need to request a pre-evaluation from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (Student Activities Building). An on-line form for requesting pre-evaluation can be found at:

For a demo-only version of this Transfer Credit Equivalency Request form, click here.  

An official evaluation is done upon receipt of an official transcript. You may consult your advisor regarding distribution or major requirements.

If you are a current LSA student, you may receive credit for courses taken elsewhere, in accordance with the College's Transfer Credit Guidelines.


First, you should consult the Transfer Credit (Course Equivalencies) website, to see whether the course you're interested in has already been approved for transfer. 

If the course you'd like to take isn't listed, you need to request a pre-evaluation from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions before you take it to make sure that your course will transfer to your University of Michigan program.  An on-line form for requesting pre-evaluation can be found at:

For your second step, if you only need the course to count as elective credit, or towards prerequisites for other courses, you needn't go any further. If you want the course to satisfy a specific concentration requirement, you need to have it approved by a concentration advisor in advance. If you want the course to count toward your distribution requirement, you need to seek the approval of a general academic advisor in the LSA Advising Center (1255 Angell Hall).

Transfer credit cannot be used to satisfy the Upper-Level Writing Requirement or  Race & Ethnicity requirement. Sweetland Center for Writing maintains a list of Approved and Not-Approved Transfer courses for the First-Year Writing Requirement.  

Once you enroll in LSA, you may not elect courses to meet the Language Requirement at another school unless the appropriate language department approves that plan in advance. 



After you've completed the work, make sure to have an official transcript sent to:

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions
300 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson St
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1316.

The credit should be posted to your Michigan record within a couple of weeks.


  1. Up to 60 credits may be transferred from other colleges and universities to count toward the 120 required for a U-M degree. Thirty of your last 60 credits must be taken in residence (on AA campus or a U-M sponsored study abroad program). Note that all pre-health prerequisite courses should be elected at a four-year institution.    
  2. Before you invest time and money in taking courses be sure the credit will transfer. You can check the web site for Transfer Credit Evaluation Out-of-Residence Curriculum Information (Transfer Credit Equivalencies) or request a pre-evaluation from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (Student Activities Building). 
  3. An on-line form for requesting pre-evaluation can be found at here: You need to speak to your advisor about how the course satisfies requirements.
  4. If the credit is "non-transferable" then don't take it unless you are interested in the subject for your own purposes; "departmental" credit indicates it is affiliated with a specific department but does not match a U-M course; and as a specific course number. In order to have credits included in your major you must discuss this IN ADVANCE with a department advisor. The language requirement may not be fulfilled out of residence unless you have prior written permission from the appropriate language department.
  5. When the course is completed arrange for an official transcript to be sent to Undergraduate Admissions, Student Activities Building, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316. Grades of "C" or better will be evaluated for transfer, but the grade will not appear on your transcript (unless you attend UM-Flint or UM-Dearborn where the grade will transfer as well).
  6. Many colleges and universities in the state of Michigan require a guest or visitor application available from the Registrar's Student Service Office at 2200 SAB Building.  

Equivalent Credit
Courses at other colleges and universities that have descriptions that closely match the descriptions of courses taught on our campus usually will transfer as "equivalent credit." Courses completed at other colleges and/or universities will appear on the University  of Michigan  transcript with a U-M course number assigned (e.g. CHEM 130; ENGLISH 125).

Departmental Credit
Courses taken at colleges and/or universities whose descriptions do not match the courses in the same departments on our campus may transfer as "departmental credit." Note that departmental credit, while transferable and usually applicable as elective credit, may only be used towards meeting distribution and/or concentration requirements with the permission of an academic or concentration advisor.  The course is assigned a three-digit departmental number (e.g. CHEM 101X; ENGLISH 202X).  The first digit indicates the course level: 100, 200, 300, 400, etc.  The third digit represents how many courses transferred in that department as departmental credit. The "X" denotes that departmental credit has been granted. 

Interdepartmental Credit
Courses that cover a broad range of topics within a general area of study are considered "interdepartmental credit." These are courses that, because of the scope of their subject material, cannot be assigned to any individual academic department. Like departmental credit, interdepartmental credit is usually applicable as elective credit. It must, however, be approved by an academic or concentration advisor if it is to be used towards distribution and/or concentration requirements. The course is assigned to a general category and is posted with "Inter" before the category, e.g.,  Inter-SS 101X.