Now open to the U-M Community
The University has approved gallery visitation for members of the University of Michigan community (Mcard holders). We hope to open our doors to all of our audiences soon, but for now, only University students, faculty, and staff have access. Gallery capacity is also reduced, and we have implemented a ticketing system to schedule visits. Additional safety protocols have been implemented in accordance with the museum’s COVID-19 reopening plan approved by the College and the Provost’s Office.
Watch this space for more updates about our expanded reopening. In the meantime, please continue to enjoy our online resources.
We are looking forward to the day when we can welcome everyone back to the Kelsey. If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact Dawn Johnson at email@example.com or 734.764.9295.
Scheduling Your Visit
We are pleased to welcome our U-M Community audiences back to the Kelsey Museum.
You must schedule your visit in advance through Eventbrite ticketing. Admission is free, but each member of your party must have a ticket and a valid Mcard. Gallery capacity is reduced to ensure safe social distancing, so no large groups, please.
Your museum visit will be limited to 45 minutes.
Hours available for scheduling:
- Tuesday–Friday, 9–11 a.m. and 12–4 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday, 1–4 p.m.
- The museum is closed on Mondays.
The galleries will be closed for an hour at midday to allow for additional cleaning.
Arriving at the Museum
The State Street entrance is closed. Please come to the Maynard Street entrance at least 5 minutes before your scheduled visit time. As you wait for security to provide access, please follow these guidelines:
- Wear a mask.
- Maintain a social distance of at least six feet from other visitors.
- Make sure all members of your party have completed the U-M health screening on the day of your visit. Have the “completed” screens (or screenshots) ready to show security, along with your Eventbrite tickets and your valid Mcards.
Visitors must present their health screen attestation, Eventbrite ticket, and valid Mcard to security before entering the museum.
Please cancel your visit if you or any member of your party feels unwell. Visitors showing signs of illness at the time of their visit will be asked to return at a later date.
In the Museum
- All Kelsey staff members will be wearing masks and maintaining social distance.
- All visitors must wear a face mask at all times while in the museum. Masks must cover the nose and mouth and fit snugly. No vented face coverings are permitted based on U-M’s EHS guidelines.
- The coatroom is not available. If you arrive with a large bag or backpack, you will be asked to leave and return at a later date.
- Social distancing is required and will be enforced.
- High-touch surfaces will be cleaned throughout the day, and sanitizer stations will be available at several locations. Nevertheless, please do not touch cases, drawers, pedestals, or artifacts.
- Your visit to the Kelsey Museum will be a no-touch experience. Collateral materials and interactives will not be available, except for printed gallery guides. You are free to take these guides home with you, or you can drop them in a recycle bin at the Kelsey before you leave.
A risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. In the interest of your personal safety and community health, we ask that you observe all the precautions listed above.
Welcome back to the Kelsey. We look forward to seeing you!