- Adobe Suite
- Faculty Spotlights
- Active Learning Framework
- Teaching in a Team-based Learning (TBL) Space
- Teaching Remotely
- Active Learning Platform
- Wacom Touch Monitor
- Websites and Blogs
NOTICE: Only version iClicker 7.16 or newer will work with the Canvas roster sync function. To update to the newest version, open the software, click on “Help,” then “Check for Update” and follow the instructions.
iClicker is the audience response system supported by the College of LSA, as well as several other colleges at the University. It is a flexible, reliable, and user-friendly system that can be used to make classes more interactive and engaging by collecting instant feedback from students. This allows instructors to have a better overall picture of student understanding. iClicker is available to use on both Mac and PC platforms and can be integrated with Canvas courses.
To sign up for email notification of issues with iClicker, please fill out this form. This list is never shared with iClicker or any other 3rd party, and you'll only get one or two emails each semester. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments.
iClicker can be used to stimulate discussion, gauge student understanding on lecture material, or conduct paperless quizzes in class. Research suggests that while using iClicker to break up a lecture and make sure they are listening can be helpful, larger gains come from the use of devices, like iClickers, to inspire discussions between students solving complex problems. We’ve created a guide for more advanced iClicker usage. Check it out!
If you would like to discuss the logistics or pedagogical strategies for successfully integrating this technology into your course, email the ISS Learning Technologies & Consulting Group at email@example.com. ISS support staff will try to answer your emails within one business day, and to schedule appointments within the few days. Please plan ahead when looking to schedule in-person meetings, demos, and classroom support; ISS has limited staffing for iClicker and cannot guarantee immediate or same day onsite support (beyond issues with defective hardware.) We recommend getting your iClicker software set up and tested before the semester starts, as our office becomes very busy during the first few weeks.
There is also excellent pedagogical research on effective clicker response strategies. Check out a few of the articles listed below.
- Technology talks: Clickers and grading incentive in the large lecture hall
- Clickers in the Large Classroom: Current Research and Best-Practice Tips
- Click Thru-U
- Writing the Book on Clickers
- Clickers in the Classroom: An Active Learning Approach
- Inside Higher Ed: Clicker U
- OSU Research News: Students Who Use Clickers Score Better on Physics Tests
- i>clicker inventor, Tim Stelzer, presents “Models and Best Practices for Using Clickers” at the University of Michigan on September 1, 2010
- Better Examples through Peer Instruction
Getting iClicker Set Up
Get the iClicker Hardware and Software
All necessary iClicker materials are available at the ISS Learning Technologies and Consulting office, located at 2014 Modern Languages Building. In addition, a software download is available on our site. Please be sure to use the software provided by us rather than downloading from the official i>clicker website. Our versions have been configured to work with Canvas. Download the iClicker software.
Make sure you fill out the IF FOUND.txt file on the flash drive. We suggest adding your name and contact information to the file as soon as possible so that the drive can be easily returned if lost.
Add iClicker Registration Tool to Your Canvas Course Navigation
In order for students to register their i>clicker remote, you will need to add the iClicker Registration tool to your course’s navigation menu. Click here for more information about iClicker registration.
- Login to your Canvas course site.
- Click Settings at the bottom of the course navigation menu.
- Click the Navigation tab.
- Find iClicker Registration in the bottom list.
- In order to enable the tool, drag and drop iClicker Registration from the bottom list to the top list.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Using iClicker in Your Class
- Basic iClicker Usage Guide – Complete, step by step guide to setting up the i>clicker software and the basics of using the system in class.
- Advanced iClicker Usage Guide – you’ve got the basic down and you want to take your class to a new level, but you’re not sure how. We can help!
Inform Your Students
Let your students know they will be engaging in class lectures by using iClicker this term. Students will need to purchase a student remote from the Computer Showcase. New iClicker remotes are priced at $39 or used iClicker remotes can be purchased for $29.
Students will also need to register their iClicker remote on Canvas by clicking on the iClicker Registration tool in the course navigation menu. They will need to enter the 8-character code listed under the barcode on the back of their remote. We suggest students register their iClicker on Canvas using the Google Chrome browser, as it has proved to be the most reliable. If registration has completed successfully, students will see a verification table.