Applications for the 2022-23 Undergrad Public Humanities Internship are closed. Please check back in April, 2023 for 2023-24 application details.
The Public Humanities Internship is a paid internship program that provides 8 selected undergraduate students at the University of Michigan with the opportunity to participate in the life of the Institute for the Humanities through a unique combination of program development and event marketing. If you are interested in expanding your understanding of the humanities and communicating the value of the humanities to your peers and the broader public, want to work with people who share those values, and would like to gain leadership, programming, and marketing skills, the Public Humanities Internship may be for you. Application deadline is June 1, 2022. The pay rate is $18/hour.
- Work approximately 5 hours per week in-person at the Institute for the Humanities; programming weeks may require additional time
- Attend a weekly meeting with intern cohort and intern coordinator
- Plan, promote and execute a fall 2022 public humanities event (possibly in collaboration with the Asian/American Pacific Islander American Studies Program)
- Plan, promote and execute a month-long series on Humanities and Afrofutures during winter 2023
- Additional projects/tasks as assigned
- Undergraduate student with junior or senior status
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and meet deadlines
- Must be present on campus fall 2022 and winter 2023
- We welcome majors from across the disciplines (including non-humanities)
To apply, submit the following by June 1, 2022 through the Student Employment application portal:
- A cover letter indicating why you are interested in this internship and what you believe you can bring to this experience in terms of programming ideas, talents, skills or knowledge
- Short essay: 300 words or less, tell us about an instance when something humanities-related impacted you or someone you know
- Have your recommender submit their confidential letter of recommendation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2022
Applicants will be notified of results by June 15, 2022.