A small group of HSSP students are chosen to remain involved in HSSP as Resident Advisors (RAs), Peer Mentors (PMs). There are additional opportunities for students to continue their involvement in HSSP as Study Group Leaders by developing informal peer-mentoring relationships with new HSSP students, and attending open HSSP programming and guest speakers.
Continuing HSSP students are also strongly encouraged to maintain regular contact with HSSP's Pre-Health Advisor as they continue to explore their academic interests, internships, and career opportunities.
UM-Ann Arbor offers many opportunities for undergraduates to become involved in research and internships during the summer. A few of the many opportunities that HSSP students have participated in include:
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program's (UROP) summer internships
- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP)
- U-M's School of Public Health's Summer Enrichment Program (SEP)
- Minority Health and Health Disparities International Research Training (MHIRT) Program
- U-M Biological Station
- Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
- The U-M Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS)
- The Ginsberg Center
- U-M Cardiovascular Center Summer Research Fellowship
Information on finding an internship can also be found at the U-M Career Center.
In addition to checking in at least once each semester with HSSP's Pre-Health Advisor, all current and former HSSP students are encouraged to take advantage of the programs and services available at U-M's Career Center, which include pre-professional and career counseling, practice interviews, career assessment resources, job search strategies, and a wealth of other valuable resources.
LSA's Pre-Health Advising Web Page contains a library of links to helpful resources and programs of interest to pre-health students.
HSSP's Professional Autobiography series is also valuable resources for students interested in meeting advanced health students and professionals in the health fields to learn what it takes to find the right career path.