- All News
- Search News
- Honors in Action | Mental Health at Michigan: Online Exhibit Premiere
- Honors in Action | Democracy & Debate 2020 Presidential Campus Tour
- Honors Student Socials Team
- All-Honors Summer [Virtual] Event: DUNE
- #hononline digital literacy underway
- Cancelled: Abdul El-Sayed Lecture & Book Signing
- Compostable: HELA in Action
- Soaring with Honors Research & Travel Grants
- Honors 135 Update
- Catalyst Grants: First- & Second-Year Research and Leadership Development
- Honors Conversions F19 & W20
- NEW: Student Mentors
- Maintaining Motivation
- Honors Forum Blog: Current & Alumni News
- Awesome Honors: Kathy Pham
- Congratulations to our 2021 Otto Graf and Jack Meiland Scholars!
- Awesome Honors: Kathy Pham
- LSA Honors DeRoy Virtual Open Lecture with Abdul El-Sayed
- Honors F20 Activities & Engagement Opportunities
- All Events
The campus and Ann Arbor communities are invited to join us for a public lecture and book signing! Public health doctor and activist Dr. Abdul El-Sayed is returning to his alma mater for a special event with the LSA Honors Program, where Dr. El-Sayed will serve as the Fall 2020 DeRoy Professor. El-Sayed who began his undergraduate career with the LSA Honors Program, was the 2008 U-M Commencement student speaker and a 2009 Rhodes Scholar, among other notable achievements.
On March 29th at the U-M Power Center, El-Sayed will precede his upcoming national book tour with this special U-M event. His forthcoming book, "Healing Politics: A Doctor’s Journey into Heart it our Political Epidemic," diagnoses our country’s “epidemic of insecurity” and the empathy policy we’ll need to treat it.
“Healing Politics is a token of appreciation for this state and its people, who taught me so much over the past several years. I hope it captures the challenges we face—and the hope I’ve seen in the least likely places,” said El-Sayed. “These are the insights I hope to bring to the classroom as the DeRoy Professor at the LSA Honors Program next fall. I’m excited to be back on campus, where, in many ways, the intellectual roots of this book took shape when I was a student.”
The LSA Honors DeRoy Visiting Professorship was endowed by the Helen L. DeRoy Foundation in 1981 to make it possible for students to study with distinguished persons in business, government, labor, law, and various scholarly disciplines. Former DeRoy Professors include poet and critic Carmen Bugan and French economist Jacques Mistral.
This event is hosted in partnership with U-M LSA Honors Program; Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships; The Phi Beta Kappa Society, Alpha of Michigan Chapter; School for Environment and Sustainability; Ford School of Public Policy; School of Public Health; School of Social Work.
RSVP is encouraged, but not required.
Please RSVP here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13nAXlHsP-MuvkuCpnCz3EbkyZpM825APIQOUIrJCosM/edit
As featured on Happening @ Michigan: https://events.umich.edu/event/73277