Skip to Content


In addition to Fellowships and Graduate Student Instructorships, which provide a stipend, tuition, and healthcare coverage, History graduate students in good academic standing may apply for other forms of supplemental support.

Internal Funding

Conference Travel

The department offers support for travel to one conference as a presenter each year, and one conference as an attendee during the course of your graduate degree program. To be eligible a student must have applied for a Rackham travel grant first. Departmental grants can be used to fund a second conference or to enhance a Rackham travel grant if additional funds are required. Awards are not to exceed $700 continental US; $950 Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean and Europe; $1200 Africa, Asia, South America, and Australia.

Research / Study / Travel Grants (RSTG)

The Department of History Research/Study/Travel Grant (RSTG) provides up to a cumulative total of $10,000 per eligible doctoral candidate to support costs to be incurred while conducting archival/field research toward their dissertation. Students must submit a brief report on their activities at the end of the grant period.

Eligibility: All History, IPGRH, and History/Women’s Studies doctoral students currently in good academic standing with Rackham and the Department, who have fully advanced to candidacy, and who have not expended the $10,000 cap in previously awarded RSTG funding, are eligible to apply.  Ph.D. students on approved leave of absence are not eligible to apply for or expend RSTG funding while on leave.

Deadline: Applications for the RSTG are accepted twice a year, in November and April.  Students may apply multiple times for awards of any amount up to the cumulative limit of $10,000.

Award Description: The amount of each award depends on the needs of the applicant and the available funding at the time of application. The awards are meant to cover the following kinds of research expenses:

  • Travel, accommodation and reasonable living expenses for visits to libraries, archives, and museums and/or to conduct interviews or field work (e.g. airfare, local transportation, foreign visas, UM Travel Abroad insurance, CDC required immunizations, housing, food, etc.)
  • Archival user fees; reprographic expenses such as photocopying, scanning or digitizing; transcriptions of interview recordings
  • The purchase of computer hardware or software, digital cameras, voice recorders or other technological materials that are indispensable for the proposed dissertation research
  • Other reasonable research expenses may be approved on a case by case basis and upon demonstrated necessity

Awards are not meant to cover the expense of materials or services for which students already have access, such as those available via the campus libraries and interlibrary loan, ITS and so forth.

History 195 / GSI Positions

Advanced graduate students, especially those in the sixth and seventh years, are encouraged to apply to teach a History 195 course. Students beyond the seventh year are also eligible to teach a section of History 195. The History Curriculum Committee selects the instructors for the History 195 courses after reviewing faculty letters of reference and student applications that include a proposed syllabus. Applications are due in late January; watch for announcements about the application at the beginning of Winter semester.

Doctoral candidates in the seventh year and beyond may apply for GSI positions, which the department will allocate to the maximum extent possible, but GSI-ships for advanced students are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed. The Graduate Committee can only consider applications from students in years seven and beyond after allocating GSI appointments to all of the graduate students currently covered by the six-year guaranteed funding package.

Emergency Funds

The Department of History Graduate Committee Discretionary Fund is intended to help meet the financial needs of History Department graduate students who encounter an emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expenses during their degree program. Situations eligible for funding include such events as:

A.   Medical, dental or mental health emergencies for the student or, in exceptional circumstances, for immediate family members.

B.   Major accidents and events such as fire and natural disasters.

C.   Expenses related to the death of an immediate family member.

In very exceptional cases, students can apply for emergency funds to cover Grad Care, tuition, and/or a stipend. However, normal living expenses such as rent, car repairs, child care, utilities, taxes, insurance, and pet-related expenses are generally not covered by this fund.

The History Department views its Discretionary Funds as a backstop for other forms of emergency support available on campus. Eligible students must show evidence of having applied for emergency support from Rackham before applying to the History Department Graduate Student Emergency Fund. Students may apply for Rackham support online here.

Job Placement Funds

The History Department offers a one-time reimbursement of up to $700 for expenses incurred by graduate students who are actively on the job market. This funding is to assist with covering the costs of photocopying, postage, AHA interviews, or sending out dossiers.  If you are eligible and would like to apply for these funds, please contact Diana Denney ( Please keep copies of your receipts as they must be submitted for reimbursement.

Child Care Subsidy

The Child Care Subsidy program provides funds to students with children to assist in meeting the cost of licensed childcare. Funds for this program are generated, in part, from student fees approved by a student referendum in 1996. The university provides matching funds to support this program. Priority for funds will be given to students with the greatest financial need. Subsidy amounts vary, depending on the level of enrollment, number of children and estimated child care expenses. To be considered for this funding, a student must meet all of the following criteria:

  • be enrolled at least half-time in a degree program
  • be the parent of a child 12 years old or younger or a child with special needs under the age of 19
  • incur child care expenses from services provided by a licensed provider
  • demonstrate financial need for this subsidy
  • be making satisfactory academic progress, as defined by the University of Michigan
  • utilize child care services because you are a single student, or, if married, because your spouse is either a student or employed outside the home for a minimum of 20 hours per week

Applications for the Child Care Subsidy Program are handled through The Office of Financial Aid, 2011 Student Activities Building. The application may be downloaded from the Financial Aid website. Their telephone number is (734) 763-6600.

Additional Funding

External Fellowships

History students have recently received fellowship support from the following sources.



American Association of University Women Fellowship

Japan Foundation Fellowship

Ford Foundation Fellowship

Fulbright Foreign Student Fellowship

IDRF-SSRC Fellowship

Japan-Korea Cultural Foundation Fellowship

University of Virginia Miller Center National Fellowship

University of Virginia Carter G. Woodson Pre-doctoral Residential Research Fellowship




Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship

Dolores Zohrab Liebmann National Fellowship

Fulbright Graduate Research Fellowship

Fulbright IIE Graduate Research Fellowship

IDRF-SSRC Fellowship

McNeil Center for Early American Studies Fellowship



ACLS Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowship

American Institute for Indian Studies Junior Research Fellowship

Dolores Zohrab Liebmann National Fellowship

Ford Foundation Fellowship

Fulbright-Nehru Research Grant

IDRF-SSRC Fellowship



Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship

Dolores Zohrab Liebmann National Fellowship

Fulbright Graduate Research Fellowship

Javits Fellowship

National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (Canada) Fellowship



ACLS Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowship

Council of American Overseas Research Center Fellowship

Ford Foundation Fellowship

Fulbright Graduate Research Fellowship

Fulbright IIE Graduate Research Fellowship

Japan Foundation Doctoral Fellowship

Spencer Foundation Dissertation Fellowship

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (Canada) Fellowship

The department encourages graduate students to apply for funding from outside sources. Students should consult the Rackham Administered Fellowships, Grants and scholarships, and the Rackham Funding for Doctoral Students lists to identify funding sources they may be eligible for. In addition, the American Historical Association publishes an annual online resource, "Grants, Fellowships and Prizes of Interest to Historians"; members of the AHA may browse and search this publication.

The department is committed to working with students who receive external funding in order to augment their awards and/or provide benefits when necessary or appropriate.