Our graduate students continue to impress and represent the department well year after year. We take this opportunity to congratulate our students on their hard work and highlight their accomplishments as we move into a new academic year.
Dissertation Defenses: Ashley Dimmig, Elizabeth Rauh, Ximena Gomez
2019-2020 Awards & Fellowships
- Foreign Language & Area Studies Summer Fellowship, 2019
- Foreign Language & Area Studies Fellowship 2019-2020
- Department of Asian Languages and Cultures' 2018-2019 Award for Excellence in Sanskrit Language
- Admitted with full funding to American Institute of Indian Studies' (AIIS) intensive summer Sanskrit program in Pune, India.
- Center for Japanese Studies, Summer Fellowship
- Rackham Language Training Award
- Curatorial Intern, Baltimore Museum of Art, Department of Africa, the Americas, Asia, and the Pacific Islands, Summer 2019
- Wieler-Mellon Postdoctoral Curatorial Fellow in Islamic Art, Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, MD
- Curating exhibit currently up at UMMA, "The Six Senses of Buddhism" which runs through June 30, 2019
- Tenure-track position as the Americanist in the Department of the History of Art and Architecture at the University of Massachusetts Amherst - Fall 2019
- Mellon Postdoctoral Research Associate in History of Art and Architecture at Brown University (2019-2021) – Declined
- Rackham International Research Award – Summer 2019
- Residential Scholar Award from the Yale Center for British Art – Summer 2019
- Program assistant for Arts in Paris with Howard Lay – Summer 2019
- Irving Stenn, Jr. Fellowwship, UMMA, 2019-2020
- Samuel H. Kress Institutional Fellowship at the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florence 2019-2021
- Rackham International Research Award
- Medieval and Early Modern Studies, summer grant
- Samuel H. Kress Institutional Fellowship, Courtauld and Warburg Institute, London, 2019-2021
- Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation Fellowship, Three months
- Huntington Library Andrew W. Melon Fellowship - June, 2019
- Ahmanson Research Fellowship, UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies – Declined
- 2018 Dr. Walter W. Ristow Prize for an Academic Paper in the History of Cartography from the Washington Map Society, article was published in The Portolan, Issue 104, Spring 2019.
- Freer Fellowship, Freer Gallery of Art and the Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, Washington D.C., 2019-2020
- Samuel H. Kress Foundation Institutional Fellowship, Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society, 2018-2020
- Honorary fellowship (no funding attached) for 2018-19 from the Belgian American Educational Foundation
Chanon Kenji Praepipatmonkgol
- Curating exhibit at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, “Fragments of a Crucifixion” May 25-November 3, 2019. Also editing accompanying online scholarly exhibition catalogue.
- Co-organizing international symposium “Common Exchange” July 29-30, 2019 at the MCA which gathers “social practice” and community engagement leaders working in art museums across the Americas and Europe.
- International Institute Individual Fellowship
- Weiser Center for Emerging Democracies Fellowship for summer research travel
- Getty Graduate Internship (in the Getty Foundation) - Declined
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship - Declined
- Huntington Library Andrew W. Mellon fellowship - July/August 2019
- Science History Institute, Philadelphia - Beckman Center Dissertation Fellowship – September 2019 - June 2020
- Co-curating exhibit with Isabelle Gillet at Hatcher Graduate Library's Audubon Gallery, "Divide & Clothe: Illustrating Fashion in Nineteenth-Century Europe.” Opening event is June 11, 2019 at 4:30pm. Exhibition runs through September 1, 2019.