- English Department Writing Program
- English Major
- English Minors
- Creative Writing
- English Honors Program
- Major/Minor Program Requirements
- Advising Information
- Download Undergraduate Forms
- Accelerated MA Program in Transcultural Studies
- LSA / UM Resources
- Undergraduate Newsletter
- Transfer Policies
English Department Commencement Speaker
2019 Commencement Speaker - Francis Lam
FRANCIS LAM is the host of public radio's The Splendid Table, is the editor-at-large at Clarkson Potter, and serves on the board of the Southern Foodways Alliance. His writing has won numerous awards from the James Beard Foundation and the International Association of Culinary Professionals. As an editor, he was responsible for the New York Times Bestselling cookbooks Cravings by Chrissy Teigen and Koreatown by Deuki Hong and Matt Rodbard, as well as the two-time James Beard Award-winning Victuals by Ronni Lundy.
In past lives, he was a columnist for the New York Times Magazine, a regular judge on Top Chef Masters, the features editor at Gilt Taste, a senior writer at Salon, and a contributing editor at Gourmet. His work has appeared in Best American Food Writing, and in ten editions of the annual Best Food Writing anthology. He believes that, in professional football, that would count as a dynasty; in ancient China, not so much.
Photo credit: Nate Ryan
Information for Family and Guests
Tickets are NOT required for this free event. To ensure that all of our graduates are able to have family attend, we request no more than (8) guests per student please. Lobby doors will open to guests at 3:30 p.m. and guests should be seated by 3:50 p.m. NO helium balloons are allowed in the building due to safety/fire concerns, but flowers are welcomed. A hors d'oeuvres reception will be held immediately following the ceremony in the Michigan Theater lobby and balcony.
PHOTOGRAPHS: A professional photographer from Graduation Foto will be on hand to photograph each graduate as they cross the stage. In addition, a protrait of each graduate will be taken off stage behind a backdrop. Graduation Foto will contact each student directly by mail in regards to placing an order. Guests are welcome to take photographs during the ceremony from their seats however guests are not allowed to stand in the aisle, along the walls or move to the front at any time during the ceremony. These areas MUST remain clear for emergency purposes.
Information for Graduates
- Students must RSVP by Monday, April 22nd, 2019 in order to be included on the list of students participating in the ceremony.
- Students are requested to arrive in CAP and GOWN PROMPTLY at 3:15 p.m. at the Michigan Theater and proceed through the lobby towards the back to the Screening Room to register.
- NO purses, back packs, totes, etc. will be allowed in the ceremony line or screening room. Please leave these items in your car or with a family member.
- Please check your permanent home address in Wolverine Access to insure it is correct for mailing out an invitation to your family.
For more information on parking in Ann Arbor and near the theater, please refer to Republic Parking website.
For any questions regarding our department commencement, please contact Karena Huff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of English Language and Literature
3187 Angell Hall, 435 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1003
University of Michigan Commencement - Michigan Stadium
University of Michigan Commencement
Saturday, May 4, 2019
Graduates and families may refer to the following web link for information about the UM Commencement ceremony.