ELI Faculty Members Christine Feak and Brenda Imber organize 3MT® Competition for PhD Students in U-M’s Ross School of Business
- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- All News
- In Memoriam: Elizabeth M. Soden
- Winter 2016 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- Third Annual U-M 3MT® Competition
- Graduate Writing Clinic Open in Spring + Summer
- Spring 2016 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- Winter 2017 ELI Conversation Circles Registration Now Open!
- The Genre Archive
- Community-Engaged Learning at the ELI
- New ELI Faculty Member
- ELI Celebrates International Education Week
- ELI Launches New Online Pre-Arrival Course
- Summer Student Employment Opportunity at ELI
- ELI has Moved!
- ELI Fall Book Group
- ELI Open House, November 13, 2017
- Registration Now Open: Spring 2018 Course for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs Runs May 15 – June 14
- REGISTER NOW: Online Pre-Arrival Course for International Graduate Students
- Consortium on Graduate Communication Summer Institute Coming to U-M
- Student Spotlight - Sijin Ren
- Student Spotlight - Chongxing Fan
- 2020 Elections and International Students
- Student Spotlight - María Rodríguez Santiago
- Beginning Monday, March 16th, the English Language Institute is operating under a remote office model.
- Student Spotlight - Pahriya Ashrap
- Student Spotlight - Tammy Wang
- Student Spotlight - Egle Klekere
- All Events
- Video: John Swales on Genre & English for Academic Purposes
- Video: John Levis on The Importance of Social Factors in L2 Pronunciation Learning
- Third-Annual Three-Minute Thesis Competition
- NEW! Online Pre-Arrival Course for International Graduate Students
- ELI Summer Programs Off and Running!
- Sign Up Now! "Power Up Your English with Great Self-Study Apps + Sites" Workshop
- ELI 75th Anniversary Celebration
- Registration Now Open! Winter Course for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs
- Selma film screening and discussion
- Info Session: ELI/SLC Co-Mentoring Program
- Diane Larsen-Freeman Festschrift Published
ELI Lecturers Christine Feak and Brenda Imber worked with the Office of PhD and Research Administration in U-M’s Ross School of Business to put on a 3-Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition for students in Ross’s Institute for Faculty in Training (IFIT).
The 3MT® is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland which is now held at universities around the world. The competition gives PhD students an opportunity to develop their academic, presentation, and research communication skills. Its goal is to develop research students' capacity to effectively explain their research in a language appropriate to an educated non-specialist audience.
The judges, who included ELI Director Angelo Pitillo and Julie Evershed, Director of U-M's Language Resource Center, awarded first place to Chen Zhang, for her presentation Being Bad When Being Busy? Exploring Underlying Reasons and Buffering Factors. In second place, for Water Systems, Private or Public?, was Dan Zhao, who also took the Audience Award.
This fall and winter, the ELI will partner with the Rackham Graduate School to sponsor the second annual University-wide 3MT® competition.