Graduate Speaking Clinic
The ELI Graduate Speaking Clinic serves U-M graduate students, faculty, staff, and scholars who want to improve their spoken English pronunciation, fluency, and accuracy. It provides a flexible framework in which learners can address their spoken English goals individually.
The Speaking Clinic is a short term resource for help if you increase the accuracy of your professional vocabulary, enhance your readiness for a presentation, augment your voice projection, or understand and repair communication breakdowns in particular situations. No academic credit is awarded for Speaking Clinic participation.
Students who have completed ELI speaking courses or who are referred by an ELI faculty member will have scheduling priority. The number of visits typically ranges from 1 to 5 sessions in a semester, depending on a participant’s goals and the demand for and availability of slots.
The Speaking Clinic is offered in Fall, Winter and Spring terms. All sessions take place Online.
Click on the button below for detailed guidelines and procedures and to sign up for an appointment.
If you have questions, please contact ELISpeakingClinic@umich.edu.
Speaking Clinic Guidelines and Sign-Up [IMPORTANT: READ CAREFULLY!]
Graduate students may sign up for one Speaking Clinic appointment per week for up to a maximum of five (5) total sessions per semester.
*Non-students (Visiting scholars, researchers, faculty, post-docs) may sign up for one (1) session per semester.
*New appointment slots will be available one week in advance.
- If you need to CANCEL an appointment, you must do so at least 20 hours before the appointment time. If you try to cancel later or do not show up for an appointment, this counts as a no-show.
- If no appointments are available, you can add your name to the waitlist. If there is a cancellation, you will receive an email that the appointment is available. If you don't attend, this will count as a no-show.
- If you have two no-shows in a given semester, you will not be allowed to sign up for any more appointments in that semester.
- You must log in with for each session.
- You must complete a short online evaluation form at the end of each session.
- All speaking clinic sessions take place Online.
*Why so few times in a semester? Many, many students are in line for clinic appointments, so we want to make sure that as many as possible can benefit from this service. The Speaking Clinic is NOT a substitute for an ELI Academic Speaking course.
If you are a graduate student and feel you need more help than you can obtain in 5 clinic sessions, you should consider a course such as ELI 536, 537, 538, 531, 533, 534, 544, 592, or 601.
ELI also offers academic English courses for international scholars, faculty, staff, researchers, and post-docs. For more information, email: ELIScholarResources@umich.edu