- ELI ONLINE
- Academic Writing Courses for Graduate Students
- Academic Grammar, Vocabulary, and Reading Courses for Graduate Students
- Community-Engaged English Language + Culture Program
- Academic Speaking and Listening Courses for Graduate Students
- Academic English Courses for International Scholars, Researchers, Faculty, Staff, and Postdocs
- Discipline-Specific Courses for Graduate Students
- Pronunciation Courses for Graduate Students
- GSI Courses
- ELI Academic Advising
Have you ever wished that you were able to watch a film TV show without subtitles, or that you could understand what's funny when everyone in the seminar room laughs at a joke?
This special topics course* will improve your listening comprehension and confidence in both formal and informal settings so that you can succeed in your academic, professional, and personal interactions with a diverse range of speakers.
You will learn what makes spoken English sound different from textbook English and learn cultural references Americans need to know to be able to participate in everyday conversations.
Self-directed homework assignments include listening to online audio books or TV shows, keeping a listening journal, and watching movies or plays. Learn to follow natural speech on and off campus!