- Earth Camp
- Coastal Ocean Environment Summer School in Ghana
- Lectures and Discussions
- Michigan Mineral Alliance
- Downloadable Resources
- Rock and Mineral Identification
- Community Collaboration
Geologists and engineers are employed in the search for and production of mineral resources. Mineral Exploration, mining and industrial minerals companies employ geologists, geophysicists and engineers. Mining and exploration consultancy companies also employ a similar set of geologists and engineers.
Mining and minerals exploration usually refers to operations that search for and extract minerals that can be processed to produce metals such as iron, copper, gold and zinc in addition to other essential elements such as phosphorus (used in fertilizers). Industrial minerals companies also explore for and extract minerals that are used in their largely unprocessed form. This includes resources extracted by quarrying including aggregates (sand and gravel), slate and limestone and those extracted by more complex mining methods such as clays and gypsum.
Steps to take
- Ensure your degree and/or classes are tailored towards the sector
- Relevant work experience/internships will be extremely useful when it comes to applying for a job.
- Relevant Postgraduate degree is preferable