- Artist: Ulysses Ricci
- Acquired: 1925
- Material(s): Limestone
- Location: Facade of CC Little, especially front (west) side
Flanking the front door are panels with mirror images of mermen, holding implements symbolizing medicine, such as mortar and pestle. At the top on the parapet are two panels featuring a caduceus, eagles and heads of men in profile. The caduceus reflects the original use of this building as the Medical School. In addition there are decorative reliefs in the spandrels as well as lion’s-head gargoyles along the cornice, which are similar to those on the Ruthven Museums Building. Ulysses Ricci, whose initials are carved in the two panels of mermen, was also the sculptor of the medallions on Hatcher Library, the bas reliefs on Angell Hall, and the corbel figures in the Law Quad.