Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Frequently Asked Questions

You've got questions, and we've got answers. Explore our frequently asked questions from prospective and admitted students. 

Still got unanswered questions? Feel free to contact us at 734-764-9128 or

FAQs - Admissions

Why was I chosen for CSP Summer?

Staff from the University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions make determinations for CSP Summer based on their review of a wide range of variables including GPA, test scores, grades in college preparatory courses, writing samples and letters of recommendation.  CSP Summer provides students the opportunity to start their classes and begin their academic requirements early. 

Where do I submit my final high school transcript?

Scholars or their high schools can submit their final high school grades/transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. If there are concerns that your school is unable to submit a students transcript before June 19, 2020, they should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for further instructions. 

FAQs - CSP Summer

What are the dates of CSP Summer?

CSP Summer students will move into Alice Lloyd residence hall on Saturday, June 27, 2020. CSP Summer staff will guide students through the orienation program, during which students will meet their Academic Advisors and register for courses. Classes will begin on Wednesday, July 1 and classes will end on Tuesday, August 18. The final exam period concludes on Friday, August 21. 

How do I register for orientation for CSP Summer?

CSP Summer students should visit the Office of New Student Programs website to register for "Summer Admits" orientation on June 29, 2020 and complete several placement exams and tasks within myGuide. 

How are CSP Academic Advising and courses different from other departments?

We offer continuous advising while working with your CSP instructors to offer support throughout your years here at Michigan. This is part of our holistic approach. CSP courses are intensive with smaller class enrollment and taught by experienced instructors who provide individualized attention and additional office hours.

What about degree requirements?

Your CSP advisor will help you develop your academic program, suggest enrichment opportunities, check your progress toward degree, and explain academic policies and commitments. 

Can I be in CSP and in other living/learning communities?

Yes, CSP students are represented in every school, college, and program on campus. In fact, we encourage our students to join other communities and to utilize as many campus resources as possible.

What is the Summer Bridge Scholars Program?

Summer Bridge Scholars is another program hosted by the Comprehensive Studies Program for incoming first-year students. It is a seven week intensive academic preparation program. This residential program is designed to give students first‐hand knowledge and experiences of student life at a large research university.

FAQs - Financial Aid

What is the cost of CSP Summer?

The cost for participating in CSP Summer depends on whether you are considered an (in-state) resident of the State of Michigan or a (out-of-state) non-resident. In the summer of 2019 Michigan residents paid approximately $7,561 and non-residents paid approximately $16,083which includes tuition, fees, room and board, the cost of books, and personal expenses. Please note 2020 costs will be posted on the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) website as soon as they become available. OFA is available to meet or assist with program costs for students who qualify. For more information about financial aid, contact the Office of Financial Aid at 734-763-6600 or  

When will my financial aid packet be available to view?

Once scholars have paid their enrollment deposit and submitted their FASFA, they can log into Wolverine Access and head to the New & Prospective Student Center, where they can locate the following financial information: 

Financial Aid Document Status: See what documents you have submitted and what other documents are needed to complete your financial aid application for a given year.

Financial Aid Award Summary: View the financial aid awards you have received for the coming year.*

Financial Aid Award Notices: View and print your financial award notice (or estimated award notice).* You can also save a copy of the award notice file for emailing or printing.

Accept/Decline Financial Aid: Select this option to accept, decline, or reduce aid that you have received for a given year.

Report Additional Aid: Select this option to report other awards (such as private scholarships) that are not listed on your award notice or to inform us that you are not enrolling for a given term.

Financial Planning Calculators: See an estimate of your university bill and/or find out how much alternative loan or PLUS loan you are eligible to receive.*

If you need more information regarding your packet or financial aid please connect with the Office of Financial Aid.

*Parents and others with Friend Accounts can also view this information.

If I'm asked to send documentation to Financial Aid where do I send it?

Scholars may be asked for additional documents as part of their financial aid application. It is suggested that scholars submit documents for CSP Summer and Fall/Winter aid at the same time. Documents can be mailed, faxed, or emailed to:

U-M Office of Financial Aid
2500 Student Activities Building, 515 E. Jefferson St. 
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1316
Fax: 734-647-3081

Documents may also be dropped off at the U-M Detroit Office, Orchestra Place, 3663 Woodward Ave., Suite 190, Detroit, MI 48201

FAQs - Housing

What should I bring for Move-In?

There are many ways scholars can customize their space with bedding, lamps, accessories and more, but before going shopping, here are the standard room furnishings University Housing provides. Also, download their list of What to Bring to Campus

How do I ensure my housing contract is turned in?

To ensure that University Housing has the necessary information, including your housing contract, please contact them at or 734-763-3164. They will be able to assist you further.