The mission of the WISE RP is to recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students in the science, mathematics, engineering, and technology fields; to link students with resources and opportunities that will support their academic and personal pursuits; to develop relationships among students with similar interests while building a community based on mutual respect and affirmation of diversity; and to enhance students’ undergraduate experiences by providing engaging cultural and educational opportunities.
About Our Community
- The Women in Science and Engineering Residence Program (WISE RP) is an academically supportive living-learning community for students who are interested in academic majors and careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and/or pre-health.
- WISE RP participants live together on two floors of Mosher-Jordan Residence Hall. The community is comprised of approximately 106 first-year students, 36 returning students who serve as Peer Mentors, and 5 upper-class students who are Resident Advisors.
- All students have access to peer-facilitated study groups that are offered for most of the introductory level math and science courses, which meet in Mosher-Jordan.
- All first-year students have the opportunity to learn from and network with female faculty, researchers and program alumni through the one-credit fall seminar course ALA107.
- Every first-year student is paired with a second-year student who will serve as their Peer Mentor by introducing them to campus and offering support and resources throughout the year.
- Second-year students have similar opportunities to network through participation in the sophomore workshops series with faculty, alumni, and other outside resources.
- Resident Advisors, Peer Mentors, and Program Board members plan numerous social, community service, academic and cultural activities and events each semester.
- WISE RP strives to support the academic pursuits of its students and to build a supportive social community in which students can make lifelong friendships.
- The WISE RP students are admitted to colleges across campus including Engineering, LSA, Nursing and Kinesiology, with concentrations in all areas of engineering and science as well as pre-health fields.