Our "Traditional UROP Program" has been our longest running program over the past 30 years. This Academic Year program, in which students participate for both Fall and Winter Terms, is designed for University of Michigan first and second year undergraduate students enrolled on the Ann Arbor campus who are seeking a first time research experience. Student research assistants work alongside a faculty member, research scientist or professional practitioner on an ongoing or new research project.
(Note: Students with Junior or Senior standing are not eligible to participate in this program. Students who have already participated in UROP should instead apply to the Research Scholars Program.)
UROP Program Goals
- Introduce first and second year students to various fields of research.
- Partner students with a research mentor.
- Identify academic and career interests.
- Apply real world applications to the classroom.
- Help students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Help students develop research skills useful in their courses.
- Help students meet great people and participate in diverse research teams.
- Help students stretch themselves intellectually and learn to think in creative, innovative ways.
UROP Program Requirements
- Conduct research 6-12 hours on average, per week, for the full academic year (both Fall and Winter Terms).
- Attend bi-weekly research seminars on Tuesdays from 4:00 - 5:30pm, which are interdisciplinary in focus and include guest speakers, field trips, and discussions designed to introduce students to research issues such as research methodology and research ethics.
- Complete journal writing assignments and read assigned texts.
- Present a poster at the annual Spring Research Symposium.
- Meet with a UROP Peer Advisor once per month.
Every year, students are placed on the wait list for this program due to the limited availability of placements in UROP. Therefore, any student admitted to this program who fails to adhere to any of the requirements above could result in receiving a failing grade and/or being dismissed from the program.
Students who participate in our "Traditional UROP Program" can be compensated either via Academic Credit or Work-Study wages, depending on their financial aid package.
Academic Credit Option
Students can earn 2-4 academic credits per term, based on the level of research effort. Students will register by permission for UROP credit upon being hired to a research project.
Students who have received a work study award as part of their financial aid package can earn work study wages for their work on the research project. Students will complete employment paperwork after being hired to a research project.
UROP Program Eligibility
Any incoming first year student who has been admitted and will be attending the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor during the Fall 2017 - Winter 2018 Academic Year OR
A student who is currently attending the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor and with Sophomore standing during the Fall 2017 - Winter 2018 Academic Year
(Please Note: If you are a current Sophomore participating in UROP and wish to continue participating in UROP as a Junior, you MUST instead apply to the Research Scholars Program.)
For more information about this program, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 734.615.9000. Please be sure to include your UMID number and/or U-M uniqname in all your correspondence.