Are you a faculty member, graduate student, or post-doc interested in sharing your research with the general public? Become a Science Communication Fellow! The U-M Museum of Natural History uses the NSF-supported Portal to the Public guiding framework to bring scientists and public audiences together in face-to-face interactions that promote
appreciation and understanding of current scientific research.
To become a Fellow, scientists participate in two free professional development workshops focused on building the skills to effectively engage public audiences. With guidance from Museum program staff, Fellows develop meaningful, inquiry-based and materials-rich table-top activities that showcase their research then share these activities with K-12 students and the public at two or more outreach events.
Workshop One: How People Learn – Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 5-8PM
Brainstorming Session (optional) – Friday, October 5, 2018, 3-5PM
Workshop Two: Prototyping Your Activity – Friday, October 19, 2018, 2-5PM
Fellows facilitate their activities for school groups and/or general public during two of the following Scientist Spotlight events:
- Tuesday, October 23, 2018 from 5-7PM during the Ypsilanti Community Schools’ STEAM Into Fall event at Erickson Elementary, Ypsilanti
- Saturday, November 10, 2018 from 1-3PM at the Ann Arbor District Library Traverwood Branch
- Sunday, December 9, 2018 from 1-3PM at the Ann Arbor District Library Downtown Branch
- Winter and Spring 2019 events - TBD
- Museum Science Communication Fellow certificate for reference in a C.V., commending commitment to science communication and public engagement.
- Consultation and assistance in writing broader impact plans to fulfill grant and other outreach requirements.
- Opportunities to network with other scientists and researchers committed to public engagement as well as with education professionals.
- Complimentary Museum membership. As a Museum member, you’re entitled to: Free admission to more than 300 museums and science centers around the world, free Planetarium passes, a 20% discount in the Museum Store, invitations to members-only events and exhibition openings, and more!
For more information contact Alicia Comer, email@example.com. Please note that there are a limited number of spaces and we will not be able to accept all applicants. The application deadline is September 13, 2018.