Are you a faculty member, graduate student, or post-doc interested in sharing your research with the general public? Become a Science Communication Fellow! The U-M Museum of Natural History uses the NSF-supported Portal to the Public guiding framework to bring scientists and public audiences together in face-to-face interactions that promote
appreciation and understanding of current scientific research.
To become a Fellow, scientists participate in two free professional development workshops focused on building the skills to effectively engage public audiences. With guidance from museum program staff, Fellows develop meaningful, inquiry-based and materials-rich table-top activities that showcase their research then share these activities with K-12 students and the public at two or more outreach events.
Workshop One: How People Learn – Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 5-8PM
Brainstorming Session (optional) – Friday, February 8, 2019. 3-5PM
Workshop Two: Prototyping Your Activity – Friday, February 22, 2019, 2-5PM
Fellows facilitate their activities for school groups and/or general public during two of the following Scientist Spotlight events:
- Sunday, March 10, 2019 from 1-3PM at the Ann Arbor District Library, Pittsfield Branch
- Sunday, March 17, 2019 from 1-4PM during the Young Scientists Expo at Forsythe Middle School, Ann Arbor
- Friday, May 10, 2019 from 7-9PM during U-M Museum of Natural History’s Science for Tomorrow 8th Grade Overnight at the Museum
- Other May 2019 events TBD
- Museum Science Communication Fellow certificate for reference in a C.V., commending commitment to science communication and public engagement.
- Consultation and assistance in writing Broader Impact plans to fulfill grant and other outreach requirements.
- Opportunities to network with other scientists and researchers committed to public engagement as well as with education professionals.
- Complimentary museum membership. As a museum member, you’re entitled to: Free admission to more than 300 museums and science centers around the world, free Planetarium passes, a 20% discount in the Museum Store, invitations to members-only events and exhibition openings, and more!
For more information contact Alicia Comer, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that there are a limited number of spaces and we will not be able to accept all applicants.