Skip to Content

Transfer Courses

Students at the University of Michigan (with the exception of College of Engineering students) must satisfy the First-Year Writing Requirement (FYWR) by completing an approved FYWR course. In addition, the Stamps School of Art and Design; the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts; and the School of Music, Theatre and Dance require students to complete the Upper-Level Writing Requirement (ULWR) with an approved ULWR course which must be taken at the UM-Ann Arbor campus.

Using courses you've taken elsewhere to satisfy the FYWR

This flowchart (left) will help guide you through the process of choosing a course and which Directed Self-Placement you should take. 

Transfer students who have taken writing courses at another college or university may be able to use these courses to satisfy the First-Year Writing Requirement. 

Advanced Placement (AP), Creative Writing, and Journalism courses do not fulfill the First-Year Writing Requirement.

If the course you completed is on the list of approved transfer courses and you received a grade of C- or better,

you have fulfilled the FYWR and may be ready to take an upper-level writing course. To help you decide which upper-level writing course is best for you, the Sweetland Center for Writing asks you to complete the Transfer Student Directed Self-Placement for Writing. When you meet with your advisor during Orientation, please confirm that your student record indicates the FYWR has been fulfilled.

If the course you completed is on the list of not-approved transfer courses,

you need to complete the First-Year Directed Self-Placement for Writing to help you choose the most appropriate first-year writing class.

If the course you completed is not listed on either the approved or not-approved list,

you may complete an online Petition for Transfer Course Credit.

As part of the petition, you must submit all of these materials:

  1. a course description from the school catalog 
  2. a detailed course syllabus that includes: 1) writing prompts that include page length requirements of each assignment 2) an explanation of the course's draft, feedback, and revision process

*We do NOT need samples of your writing.

Submit your petition materials at least one month before the date of your orientation. If not submitted in time and your petition is pending, you should complete the First-Year DSP.

  • If your petition is approved, you will take the Transfer DSP.
  • If your petition is not approved, you will take the First-Year DSP

If you choose not to submit a Petition for Transfer Credit,

please complete the First-Year DSP to help you choose the most appropriate first-year writing class.

We strongly recommend you speak with your advisor about fulfilling these requirements.