- Our Team
- Active Courses/Instructors
- Faculty Resources
- M-Write Fellows Program
- M-Write Seminar for Engaged Learning
You have been hired as a consultant by a small pizza company. They heard about an ad used by Eagle Boys Pizza and want their own ad like it. Write a memo to the company CEO describing how this small company could conduct a similar study in order to make similar claims.
Be sure to include the research questions (or claims) you suggest the study will address, the different variables you would suggest to measure to help answer these research questions (both what you would measure and how you would measure it). Additionally, describe how you would summarize the data that would be collected on the different variables to start to address the research questions. You should include details of which graphical and numerical summaries you would report to begin to address your research questions.
Items to keep in mind
- When we read your memo, we will play the role of your client with minimal statistical literacy who is trying to understand your study design.
- Cite any external references using MLA format.
- Since you are explaining this to your client, you should take care to carefully edit and proofread your memo.
- This should be a memo of between 350-500 words.
Peer Review Guidelines
- Use respectful language whether you are suggesting improvements to or praising your peer.
- Print and read over your peer’s memo to quickly get an overview of the piece.
- Read the memo more slowly keeping the rubric in mind.
- Highlight the pieces of texts that let you directly address the rubric prompts in your online responses.
- In your online responses, focus on larger issues (higher order concerns) of content and argument rather than lower order concerns like grammar and spelling.
- Be very specific in your responses, referring to your peer’s actual language, mentioning terms and concepts that are either present or missing, and following the directions in the rubric.
- This memo should be written to be understandable to someone with minimal statistical literacy. Comment on whether this was achieved. What parts were written well? What parts would be more difficult to understand?
- The study design should be described in this memo. Comment on proposed research questions or claims that would be addressed. What is described well? What is missing? How might the description be improved?
- Comment on the proposed variables that would be measured. What is described well? What is missing? How might the description be improved? Do they generally align well with the proposed research questions or claims? Is there some detail to understand what is being measured and how it would be measured?
- Comment on the proposed graphical and numerical summaries. What is described well? What is missing? How might the description be improved? Do they generally align well with the proposed research questions or claims? Do they align with the type of data that is being recorded?