Sweetland offers face-to-face writing help for graduate students in Writing Workshop. This service allows you to meet one-to-one with an experienced faculty consultant at any stage of writing, from getting started to final revisions. You can get help with understanding assignments, generating ideas, developing arguments, organizing and structuring, using evidence and sources, and clarifying your expression. To get a sense of what to expect, please read our policies before attending your first Writing Workshop session.
The Sweetland Center for Writing honors accommodations documented with U-M’s Services for Students with Disabilities. For more information, see Scheduling Your Appointment, below.
International grad students: If you are an international or multilingual graduate student who would prefer to meet with a second language specialist, please schedule an appointment with the English Language Institute's Graduate Writing Clinic.
Post-docs, faculty, and staff are not eligible for Writing Workshop consultations. We do offer for-pay Freelance Writing Services. International post-docs and international faculty/staff are also eligible for English Language Institute's Graduate Writing Clinic on a limited basis.
Led by Sweetland faculty
30 or 60-minute sessions
Any writing assignment for a course, dissertation chapters, conference papers, articles, grant proposals, and/or fellowship applications
May 7 - June 24
July 3 - August 15 (closed July 4th)
Tuesday-Thursday 9am-12pm, 1-2pm
1310 North Quad
Before scheduling a Writing Workshop appointment
Writing workshop is funded only for materials related to courses and academic research. Writing Workshop consultants can help with any writing or multimedia project that directly pertains to your academic and/or research pursuits as a graduate student, including course assignments, dissertation chapters, conference papers, articles, grant proposals, and fellowship applications. (Note: There is a two-appointment maximum for any given grant or fellowship application.)
Writers cannot be required to visit Writing Workshop and consultants cannot sign anything or provide evidence of your visit. This policy exists because writing consultation works best when writers genuinely want to talk to consultants.
For collaborative projects, 50% or more of the collaborators must be present for the consultation.
Make sure you’re allowed to submit a take-home exam. Consultants cannot assist writers with take-home exams unless the instructor has given Sweetland written permission to provide assistance. Permission should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 24 hours before your scheduled appointment. We appreciate your compliance with university standards for academic integrity.
Scheduling your appointment
Writing Workshop Appointment and Scheduling Limits
Graduate students may schedule one 30 or 60-minute appointment per week, with a limit of seven visits in a full term (four in a half term), including walk-ins. There is a two appointment maximum for grant proposals or fellowship applications support.
If you have accommodations documented with U-M’s Services for Students with Disabilities, and you wish to schedule additional time in Writing Workshop, please contact us at (734) 764-0429 to speak with a receptionist. You will be asked to bring a copy of your VISA letter when you come for your first appointment.
Appointments can be scheduled up to four calendar days in advance. Please note that only one scheduled appointment per week is permitted, in order for Sweetland to help as many students as possible.
You can also receive help on a walk-in basis if there are openings in the schedule and you have not reached your limit of visits.
How do I schedule an appointment?
Please register once per academic year.
1. Visit Sweetland’s Writing Workshop registration page.
2.Register using your umich.edu email address and complete all questions on the registration form.
3.Once all fields on the form have been entered, click "Register."
Scheduling Your Appointment
1. Visit Sweetland's Writing Workshop scheduling website.
2. Select the schedule from the drop-down menu of the current Term and Year.
3. If you have already registered this academic year, please type in your umich.edu email address and the password you created. Previously registered students will need to update their account information. If you have not registered, please see the “Online Registration” section above.
4. You will be brought to the writing workshop schedule. Openings in the schedule will be identified by white blocks.
5. Locate the day, time, and consultant (if preferred) you would like an appointment with. Click on the appropriate white block of time; a “New appointment” window will appear.
6. Complete the form.
7. Click "Save" to make your appointment.
You will receive an email confirmation of your appointment.
What if there are no appointments available?
If all available appointments are booked on the day you wish to visit, you may sign up for the Writing Workshop waitlist.
1. From the schedule page, click on the clock icon to the left of the date you wish to visit, and the waitlist window will appear.
2. Select your preferences then click the “add to waiting list” button.
When there is a cancellation, you will be notified via email or text message. Then, you may schedule the appointment as usual. Other students on the waitlist will also receive an e-mail or text notification, and appointments will be scheduled on a first-come first-served basis.
Cancellations, rescheduling, late arrivals, & no-shows
What happens if I need to cancel or reschedule an appointment?
- If for any reason you need to modify or cancel an appointment, please do so at least 90 minutes prior to the appointment time. This allows Sweetland to assist as many writers as possible. Thank you for your courtesy to our consultants and your fellow writers!
- Please schedule, modify, and cancel your own appointments online. You may contact the Sweetland information desk at 734.764.0429 if you encounter technical difficulties with the scheduling system or have questions about your appointment.
How to Reschedule or Cancel Appointments
- Visit Sweetland’s Writing Workshop scheduling website.
- Select the schedule from the drop-down menu on which you made your initial reservation.
- Navigate to the date on which your appointment was scheduled.
- Click on the orange box which opens your reservation panel.
- If you need to make a change, edit the panel as necessary. Click “Save Changes.”
- If you need to cancel the appointment, select the "cancel" box at the bottom of the page. Then click "Save Changes."
- You will receive an email notification confirming the action.
What happens if I arrive late or miss my appointment?
- Arrive on time. Arriving on time ensures that you and the consultant will have ample time to discuss your writing. Keep in mind: appointments do not run on "Michigan time." If you are 10 minutes late, you will lose your appointment.
- If you miss an appointment, you will be unable to schedule another appointment for one week. You will be notified via email when this occurs. Although you won’t be able to make an appointment, you are still welcome to use Sweetland’s walk-in services.
- If you miss two appointments, you will be unable to schedule an appointment for the remainder of the semester; however, you may continue to use our services on a walk-in basis.
What if Sweetland needs to cancel my appointment? (e.g., consultant illness)
If the Sweetland Center for Writing needs to cancel your appointment due to consultant illness, you will be notified by email as soon as possible. We will make every effort to reschedule the appointment with another consultant at the same time before canceling an appointment.
Preparing for your appointment
What should I bring to my appointment?
- Reasonable expectations: What one or two issues would you like to discuss with the consultant? If you have a really long paper, what part or parts would you like to focus on?
- Your assignment sheet, writing prompt, and any guidelines you’ve been given for composition.
- Ideas about or a draft of your writing project in electronic or hard copy. For multimedia assignments, it may be better to work from a laptop. If you have not reached the draft stage, bring your ideas. To save time during your session, please bring a printed copy of your writing project when possible.
What happens at a Writing Workshop appointment
- Sign in at the front desk when you arrive at 1310 North Quad. Your consultant will meet you in the lobby.
- Sessions begin with a brief discussion of what you're working on and the kind of help you're looking for.
- Come prepared to participate in an active collaboration with your consultant -- for example, by asking and answering questions, reading through the paper aloud, generating ideas, making notes on your draft, etc.
- We focus on "higher order" concerns (e.g., thesis, ideas, evidence, organization) before addressing sentence-level concerns such as grammar and punctuation. Prioritizing higher order concerns assures that you won’t spend time fixing sentences that might not even support your argument.
- We avoid proofreading or "correcting" papers directly. Rather, we can help writers identify patterns of error, proofread more effectively, and improve clarity and style. If you’re ready to address sentence-level concerns, expect to address one or two error types per consultation.