only offered in Winter Term
This course is intended for doctoral students who want to complete one or more chapters of their dissertation, while gaining skills in planning, managing, and improving their dissertation writing process. The course engages doctoral students in defining the expectations of a dissertation in their discipline, setting goals for their writing, and developing practices that writers can apply both to their dissertation as well as to other writing pieces. As part of the writing process, students will give and receive peer feedback on drafts of their work and revise their work.
The format for this course combines class meetings with “just write” sessions. During class meetings, students explore conventions of the dissertation, work on structure, organization and language, and give and receive feedback on drafts. For the “just write” sessions, students devote blocks of time to writing parts of their dissertation chapters.
- This course is not designed to provide intensive language study for multilingual speakers.
- Class time will be Fridays 9:00-10:00am on Central Campus.
- Permission of the Sweetland Center for Writing is required to register.
- Applications for Winter 2019 are due by the end of Sunday, December 2nd, 2018
- Students will be notified by the end of Friday, December 14th, 2018.
Please send all questions to Laura Schuyler (firstname.lastname@example.org).