The Science Learning Center (SLC) provides online appointment-based, individual tutoring for select groups of eligible students (detailed further below).
Which courses are supported by online appointment-based peer tutoring?
● Biology 171 and 172
● Chemistry 130, 210 and 215
Who qualifies for online appointment-based peer tutoring?
U-M undergraduate students enrolled in the above courses who have transferred to the University of Michigan from another college (two-year or four-year) or university are eligible for online tutoring.
How do I set up an appointment for online tutoring?
If you qualify for online appointment-based tutoring, you can schedule tutoring sessions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will verify that you meet the requirements for this service and will connect you with one of our online tutors if you do. The tutor will work with you to find a mutually convenient time during our regular hours of operation, which can be located on the SLC homepage. The tutor will then provide you with a unique link to your own private tutoring room, which will be used the entire semester. For quality assurance purposes, your sessions will be recorded.
Please note that appointments cancelled with less than 12 hours notice or students who are more than 15 minutes late will be marked as "no-shows." Students who are marked as a "no-show" two or more times during the same semester will be asked to meet with a Program Manager before they are permitted to continue meeting with a tutor.
How long are online tutoring sessions?
Online tutoring sessions are an hour long.
How many sessions can I schedule?
You may schedule up to two online sessions a week.
Can I schedule sessions for multiple courses?
Yes, you may schedule sessions for multiple courses. You will have different, unique links for each individual course.
What hardware/software do I need to have in order to access online tutoring?
The GoBoard platform is capable of utilizing video and audio functions so a webcam and headphones with microphone would be beneficial for the most effective and optimal session, but is not necessary if you do not have access to these.
GoBoard, the online platform used for online tutoring sessions, can be run two different ways: on an iPad App or by simply using the website through the desktop version. The major difference is that screen sharing is only available when using the desktop version. GoBoard is not compatible with Safari or Internet Explorer. Mozilla Firefox does not work well but if you have to use it, try disabling add-ons to make it work more smoothly by following these steps:
● Open Firefox
● Click on “Help” in the menu bar
● Click “Restart with Add-ons Disabled”
Google Chrome is the best browser that supports GoBoard. To download Chrome go to https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop.
Entering your GoBoard session
Prior to your scheduled session, you are welcome to play around with the features in your GoBoard session. If you are unable to do so, your tutor will acquaint you with the many features of GoBoard during your first session
● Enter your room by using the link provided by your tutor
● Provide your name and university/college email address in order to access your tutoring room.
● Allow GoBoard to access your webcam and microphone. You may need to turn off any pop-up blockers you have on your browser.
● Maximize your screen to see as much of the board as possible
● You can access your GoBoard at any time to view the work you and your tutor have done. You cannot access the recording but if you would like to listen to your session please email email@example.com and we will provide that to you.
● Make sure you are using an updated Google Chrome browser.
● Log out and log back into the GoBoard room, close out your browser and reopen it, or restart your computer to complete updates.
● You should have at least 5 Mbps internet speed for the best experience. You can go to http://speedtest.net to test your internet speed.
● Use the “Text Chat” tool under the menu if you have issues with or do not have access to a webcam and microphone.
● Email your tutor to let them know about any other issues.
● GoBoard Technical Support: email help@GoBoard.com or call 877-919-8886