The Science Learning Center (SLC) offers peer tutoring for students enrolled in Biology 171, 172, 225, 305, Chemistry 130, 210, 215, 230, 260/261, 351, and Physics 135, 140, 235, and 240. SLC Peer Tutors provide assistance on a drop-in basis, by-appointment, or both. Peer Tutors may work with small groups of up to three students per session in either drop in or by appointment tutoring. All peer tutoring sessions are held in the main branch of the SLC, located in 1720 Chemistry Building.
Tutors have the opportunity to use their skills and knowledge to help other students. Tutors help students build confidence as they enhance their understanding of course material and become more independent learners. Peer Tutors make a real difference in the lives of other students.
Peer Tutors also:
- Develop an understanding of how students learn
- Enhance interpersonal and communication skills
- Learn skills and techniques useful for future careers
- Retain and deepen course content knowledge for graduate and professional school entrance exams (i.e. GRE, MCAT, PCAT, DAT, etc.)
- Are paid to work part-time assisting other students with academic challenges
- Earned a grade of A- or higher in the course(s) to be tutored and have completed the course at UM.
- Exceptional understanding and enthusiasm for the course content
- Available to work one or more late afternoons and/or evening shifts on Mondays through Thursdays, and/or on Sundays, for approximately 3-6 hrs/wk
- Responsible, dependable, honest, and mature
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Friendly, patient, and sensitive to a diverse range of students
I want to apply. Now what?
If you have the course knowledge and strong communication skills necessary to become a Peer Tutor, click here to apply for a Winter 2019 position. Apply by November 2, 2018 for most consideration.
Please note that we do not maintain applications from term to term, so anyone who is not offered a position will need to reapply during future application cycles to be considered.
If you have questions about becoming a peer tutor please e-mail SLC Peer Tutor Application E-Mail.
If you have questions about the SLC Tutoring Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.