Submitting a Request for Office Hours to the SLC
Alcove space is reserved on a first-come, first-serve basis.
All course instructors, including GSIs, are encouraged to hold regular office hours in the SLC. Students benefit when a large number of instructors choose to use the SLC as the location for their office hours because the SLC is centrally located and the location for a range of useful resources in support of science courses in Astronomy, Biology, Biophysics, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, and Physics.
Fall and Winter Terms
For a course with 5 or more instructors including GSIs:
A master schedule must be submitted to email@example.com by the course instructor showing GSI names, uniqnames, and hours for all GSIs assigned to your course.
For a course with fewer than five (5) instructors including GSIs:
Individual GSIs may submit requests on their own behalf. Be sure to include name, e-mail
address, phone number, course, day(s) and time(s) requested. Submit all requests in person or through e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring and Summer Terms
For all courses:
Individual GSIs may submit their schedule requests by visiting the SLC and entering the information on the GSI Office Hours log maintained at the SLC Front Desk or requests may be e-mailed to the SLC. Be sure to include name, e-mail address, phone number, course, day(s) and time(s) requested. Submit all requests in person or through e-mail to: email@example.com
Making Schedule Changes
Students depend on the SLC to post accurate office hours for all instructors who use the site. Please help us keep the information up-to-date.
To make a change lasting the remainder of the term, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org showing your old and your new hours.
One Time or Short-term changes:
If you are unable to cover a shift, perhaps due to illness, please phone the SLC Front Desk at 764-9326 to let us know. We will post a note for your students indicating your schedule adjustment.
Reporting to the SLC to Hold Office Hours
• Sign-in on the GSI whiteboard located at the SLC front desk.
• Pick-up a badge and wear it during your office hours.
• Obtain whiteboard markers and an eraser at the SLC front desk.
• Report to your assigned alcove. Generally, Chemistry GSIs are assigned to Alcoves 1-4 and Biology GSIs are assigned to alcoves 5-8.
• Change the alcove label found hanging at the entrance to the alcove to reflect your course.
• Stay in your alcove area during your office hours. If you must leave briefly, make a note of your whereabouts on the white board inside your alcove. Be sure to include the time you will return if you must leave the premises.
• At the end of your shift, return your badge, white board markers, eraser and sign yourself out.