Heritage speakers welcome!
Russian is spoken by over 180 million people worldwide. As the economies of Eastern Europe continue to transform, learning Russian promises to be a great addition to your resume and offers exciting new opportunities to explore the magnificent world of Russian literature, film, music, animation and more! In addition to excellent language instructors, student experiences enhanced with cultural events like Russian Teas, Maslenitsa, films, and musical performances. Highlights include:
- literature by famous (and not-so-famous) authors
- contemporary film animation
- folklore and old Russian culture and art
- humor and food
Why should you learn Russian?
Speak with Russian speakers across the world!
Russian is spoken by over 180 million people worldwide. It's a major language of business and culture and will be a useful addition to your resume.
You will be eligible for scholarships!
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships provide tuition and stipend to students studying designated foreign languages in combination with area studies or international aspects of professional studies. The funding encourages the study of less commonly taught modern languages like Russian.
Russian is a gateway to other Slavic languages!
Learning Russian will help you learn Czech, Polish, Ukrainian, and other Slavic languages.
- First- through fifth-year language courses
- Language courses specifically for heritage speakers (RUSSIAN 125, 225)
- Russian Culture (SLAVIC 240, RUSSIAN 231, RUSSIAN 322)
- Russian Film (SLAVIC 313)
- Russian Pre-19th Century Literature and Culture (RUSSIAN 391)
- Literature Courses on Russian Authors (Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Nabokov)
- Russian Literature (RUSSIAN 346, 347, 348, 375, 361)
- Empire and Nationalism (RUSSIAN 358, 375, 477)
Please see the course guide for a complete list of Russian courses.
The Russian program consists of culture-based language instruction and complementary literary courses. Class sizes are small and personal, with plenty of individual contact with instructors.