Winter 2018: From "Two Societies to a New Society" - Revisiting the Kerner Report and People’s Movements for the Future of Detroit
- Detroiters Speak
- Fall 2018 Workshop Series: Healing Justice as Building Cultural Resilience
- Winter 2018: From "Two Societies to a New Society" - Revisiting the Kerner Report and People’s Movements for the Future of Detroit
- Fall 2017: Reclaiming the Commons
- Summer 2017: Beyond '67 - The City-Wide Citizen's Action Committee
- Winter 2017: Toward Education Justice
- Detroiters Speak Archive
- Semester in Detroit
- Detroit-Based Electives
- Office Hours
Our theme for the semester will explore competing ideas about "development" and visions for Detroit's future in the context of the 50th anniversary of the Report of the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders, commonly referred to as the Kerner Report, which was released in March 1968. Each week will feature different Detroit-based speakers and guests who will explore the given topic and engage the students through a combination of formal remarks, presentations, and public discussion.
Light dinner provided; free transportation from Ann Arbor to Detroit; public welcome and encouraged to attend.
Free Parking in the WSU lot located just north of the Cass Corridor Commons (4605 Cass Ave.)
Dates: Feb 6, 13, 20; March 6, 20, 27; April 3, 10
Location: Cass Corridor Commons, 4605 Cass Ave.
Sponsors: Semester in Detroit, Detroit Equity Action Lab/Damon Keith Center for Civil Rights
- Read & share this editorial on The Grio: Black Lives Matter co-founder seeks justice for pregnant mom incarcerated by Stand Your Ground law
- Donate: Siwatu Freedom Fund
- Get Involved - Email: email@example.com
February 6: Breaking Down the Kerner Report 50 Years Later
In the first session on February 6th, "Breaking Down the Kerner Report50 Years Later" we will hear grounding remarks from Christy Bieber and Mama Lila Cabbil, the course planning team will be introduced (Stephan Ward, David Goldberg, Peter Hammer, eliza qualls perez, Marion Van Dam, and Craig Regester), and Stephen and David will lead a discussion on the history and contemporary relevance of the Kerner Report.
February 13: Contesting Visions of the City
Speakers include Rick Schott, Shea Howell, and Jamon Jordan
February 20: Beyond Development - Exposing Land Grabs
Please read pages 8-10, titled "What Lies Beneath the QLine?"
Peter Hammer's presentation
March 6: Equitable Development - Grassroots Grabbing Back
March 20: Living for the (People’s) City - Getting the Message Out