- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- 9 Reasons to Do SID
- Carry with Me, Detroit
- Interrogating Narratives of Detroit
- Detroit’s Future: Hi-Hops, IHOPS, or Just Hops?
- The U-M Bicentennial Year – Why Detroit Matters
- Residential College Issues Statement of Solidarity
- Why Detroit (Still) Matters
- Semester in Detroit Stands with Students Against Spencer
- Remembering 'Gen' - General Gordon Baker, Jr.
- Welcome Our Fall 2018 Cohort!
- Fight the Winter Blues, Fall for Detroit
- SiD’s Differential Impact: Meet Erica and Kira (SiD Fall ‘18)
- What's it like to spend a week in the life of a fall SiD student?
- All Events
The following article was originally featured in the April 2013 edition of the Semester in Detroit E-news.
Spring 2013 Students Get A Taste of Detroit
(Above) The newest editions to the Semester in Detroit family show off their Southwest Detroit-inspired Community Dinner for alumni, faculty and current students at the Cass Commons.
Traditions run strong in Semester in Detroit’s five year history. This past March 22nd -24th, the new Spring 2013 cohort carried on the Semester in Detroit Immersion Weekend tradition of breaking the ice, engaging with the community, and enjoying Detroit.
With the hospitality of East Michigan Environmental Action Council (EMEAC), Students gathered Friday at The Cass Commons to nosh pizza and get to know their neighbors. After a long Saturday of shopping at Eastern Market and Honey Bee Market, volunteering for Detroit Partnership Day 2013, and budgeting time for cooking and showers, the new cohort hosted 60 program alumni, faculty and participants at the SID Community Dinner.
Over squash soup and hand-assembled tacos, the Semester in Detroit community said congratulations to the new 24 students with an exchange of “Hot Tips” for making the most of their time in Detroit. Like the dinner itself, the passing of wisdom from seasoned SID participants to newcomers will continue to nourish the SID community for years to come.
Subscribe to the Semester in Detroit E-news here.