The Two-Year Renewable Scholarship is awarded based on a student's scholarship application and their financial need, as demonstrated by their FAFSA and CSS profile. All LSA Scholarship awards are made after a student receives their initial package from the Office of Financial Aid, so we are often able to replace high-interest loans or unmet need with our scholarships. Those who apply for a Two-Year Renewable Scholarship are also considered for all other scholarships available to transfer students.
Want to learn more about the requirements and the application process? Read on for more details.
The Two-Year Renewable Scholarship covers educational expenses such as tuition, room and board, and textbooks.
Award amounts can go as high as $5,000 per year for in-state students or up to $10,000 per year for out-of-state students. These scholarships are renewable for two years of undergraduate study, provided students maintain eligibility by completing their requirements each academic year.
The application for transfer students opens on January 1st and closes on June 1st. Applicants will receive notifications on a rolling basis March through August.
To qualify for an LSA Transfer Student Scholarship, a student:
- Must be an undergraduate transfer student currently enrolled full-time and pursuing a degree program (or MDDP) in the College of LSA.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (i.e. possess a green card).
- Must apply for and receive need-based support through the Office of Financial Aid.
- Must have a FAFSA and CSS profile on file with the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) and must renew their FAFSA annually.
To maintain the Two-Year Renewable Scholarship, a student must:
- Complete at least 20 hours of volunteer service over the course of the academic year.
- Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Maintain full-time enrollment of 12 credit hours or more per term.
All transfer students should apply through our Returning Student Scholarship application. Follow the link below to begin applying. There are three steps.
Step one: Newly admitted students will need to log in to the application portal using their Friend Account ID and password (the account used to apply to UM). Students transferring to LSA from another college at UM need to log in using their Uniqname and password.
Step two: Begin by completing our general application. When asked which scholarship program you are applying to, click the box for "Returning Student Scholarship."
Step three: Once the general application has been submitted, you will then be directed to complete the Returning Student Scholarship application. Submit this application for full consideration. You will be considered for not only the Two-Year Renewable Scholarship, but for the rest of our one-time transfer student awards as well.