Getting into the college of your dreams is a big deal. But, deciding how you'll fund your education can take just as much creative thinking. That's why we're here!
Each year, we award Four-Year Renewable Scholarships to students who need a little extra help covering the cost of their studies. The awards are made based on a student's scholarship application, their Undergraduate Admissions Application, and their financial need, as demonstrated by their FAFSA and CSS profile. Our awards are made after a student receives their initial package from the Office of Financial Aid, so we are often able to replace high-interest loans or unmet need with our scholarships.
Those who apply to the Four-Year Renewable Scholarship program are also considered for any and all merit scholarship programs available to first-year LSA students. Want to learn more about the requirements and the application process? Read on for more details.
For qualified LSA students, the Four-Year Renewable Scholarship covers educational expenses such as tuition, room and board, and textbooks.
Award amounts vary. For in-state students, awards range from $5,000 to $10,000. For out-of-state students, awards range from $7,500 to $20,000. All Four-Year Renewable Scholarships are renewable for four years of undergraduate study, provided students maintain eligibility by completing their requirements each academic year.
The Four-Year Renewable Scholarship Application for the 2019-2020 academic year is now closed.
To qualify for a Four-Year Renewable Scholarship, a student:
- Must be an undergraduate admitted to a degree program in the College of LSA. Students will be considered even if they haven't enrolled yet.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (i.e. possess a green card).
- Must apply for and receive need-based support through the Office of Financial Aid. (Exception: students applying only for merit scholarships).
- Must have a FAFSA and CSS profile on file with the Office of Financial Aid (OFA) and must renew their FAFSA annually for need-based scholarships.
- Must be enrolled (or intend to enroll) full-time (12 credit hours or more) each term.
To maintain their Four-Year Renewable Scholarship, a student:
- Must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
- Must complete at least 20 hours of volunteer service over the course of each academic year.
- Must complete a Thank You Survey.*
- Must attend the Scholarship Welcome Reception that occurs during their first fall semester.*
- Must attend any special events where their donor will also be in attendance.*
*We will provide details to students when these requirements arise.
Follow the link below to begin the Four-Year Renewable Scholarship Application. The application process has three steps.
Step one: Log in to the application portal by using your Friend Account ID and password (the account you used to apply to UM). If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it here.
Step two: Complete our general application. When asked which scholarship program you are applying to, click the box for "Four-Year Renewable Scholarship."
Step two: Once the general application has been submitted, you will then be directed to complete the application for the Four-Year Renewable Scholarship program. Submit this application for full consideration.