Skip to Content

Student Resources


CGIS/GIEU: provides a wide variety of global engagement and learning opportunities to the University of Michigan community.

Division of Public Safety and Security: call DPSS (911) first if there is ever an emergency of if you are concerned about the immediate health or safety of an individual. For non-emergencies call 734-763-1131.

First Generation Students: this website seeks to provide first-generation students at the University of Michigan with resources, insight and inspiration that can help you thrive and succeed on campus as you pursue your degree.

International Center: advises international students on immigration and VISA issues including but not limited to employment, health insurance, and travel, also advises students on study, travel, and work abroad.

Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs (MESA): using the lens of race and ethnicity, MESA engages and transforms students to build inclusive spaces and equitable opportunities. Their focus is on community engagement, leadership development, and social justice education.

Office for Institutional Equity: fields all reports of discrimination, harassment, and bias and also provides legal and policy intrepretation as well as education and training.

Office of the Ombuds: student concerns, complaints, and questions about the functioning of the university can be discussed here in a safe environment.

Services for Students with Disabilities: provides services to students with visual impairments, learning disabilities, mobility impairments, hearing impairments, chronic health problems and psychological disabilities, so they may enjoy a complete range of academic and non-academic opportunities.  Services are free of charge.

Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC): offers a 24-hour crisis line, crisis intervention, counseling, outreach, and educational services related to sexual assault, intimate partner violence, stalking, and sexual harassment.

SAPAC Our Community Matters: resource guide for students, faculty, and staff who may have experienced sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and/or stalking. Understand your reporting options and be aware of support services through the university and community. 

Student Life Dean of Students: is available to assist with multiple student related concerns and can also help students to navigate and access other appropriate resources.

Spectrum Center: with a focus on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression, this office provides opportunity for students to find community, support, and leadership opportunities.

Students with Children: Website dedicated to the needs of student caregivers at U-M who juggle parenting, other family care, work, and study.

Transfer Students: applying to U–M, information on academics, cost and financial aid and student life especially for those students transferring to U–M.

University Bias Incident Reporting System: report incidents of harassment and/or discrimination either witnessed first-hand or disclosed to you second- or third-hand.

Mental Health and Wellness

On-Campus Resources for Concerns Related to Mental Health Issues

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): counseling services, educational and preventive initiatives, training programs, outreach and consultation activities, and provide guidance on how to “do something” to fully contribute to a caring healthy community.

Depression Center: provides diagnosis and treatment of depression and bipolar disorder through the Department of Psychiatry, the UM Health System, and University Health Services.

MiTalk: mental health resources including online screenings for depression and anxiety, skill-building tools to help you manage stress and academic life, and digitally recorded workshops, lectures, and some relaxation exercises. The site is completely free of charge to U-M Students.

Sexual Assault Prevention & Awareness Center (SAPAC): The Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center promotes healthy relationships, teaches non-violence and equality, supports survivor healing, and fosters a respectful and safe environment for all members of the University of Michigan community.  SAPAC provides educational and supportive services for the University of Michigan community related to sexual assault, intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, and stalking.

Social Integrity: UM website to help navigate social media including protecting your privacy, spotting fake news, and learning how to deal with negative behavior on social sites. 

University Health Services: provides a wide range of health and wellness services to students including mental health screenings, regular doctors visits, prescriptions, and referrals to specialists.

Wolverine Wellness: well-being information and resources, and individual services including Wellness Coaching, Anonymous HIV Testing, Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students (BASIC), and Individual Marijuana Education Program (IMEP).


Physics Help Room: assists students if they need help with Physics 135-241.

Language Resource Center (LRC): students check out computers equipped with foreign language software (including spell check!), foreign films and music, foreign language CD-Roms, and reading materials. There is also some open tutoring available.

Problem Roulette: This site serves random problems from past exams given in courses at the University of Michigan, including Stats 250 and MCDB 310, plus many more!

Psychology Research Guides: Provides guidance on information resources and search strategies on conducing library research in psychology.  

Math Lab: Staffed by grad students and undergrad students who are trained to help students from Math 105 all the way to DiffEq.

Science Learning Center (SLC): Assists students with Chem, Bio, or Physics. You can also sign-up for study groups that meet based on your availability and are facilitated by an upper-level undergrad.

Stats Consulting: Helping undergraduates in psychology courses, honors students, graduate students, and faculty with their statistics and data management questions.

Psychology Statistics Online Calendar 

Sweetland Peer Writing Center & Writing Workshop: Offers free one-to-one writing support to all undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Michigan. Sweetland faculty and peer writing consultants meet with student writers to help with any stage of the writing process.

Sweetland Online Writing Labs (OWL): Live, web-based assistance that connects undergraduate students to a Sweetland peer writing consultant using video chat and online document sharing. Great if you are studying abroad!

Techology tutorials (free): Brief "how to" google docs on Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign; Canvas "how to" videos. 

Food and Housing

UM Off Campus Housing Locator: Search for non-dormitory housing near campus; look for roommates; post sublets; and more!

Maize and Blue Cupboard: Provides a free bag of groceries to students once a month

Student Food Co: Provides low cost fresh produce on campus



Office of Financial Aid 

Scholarships and Fellowships

Office of Financial Aid Scholarships: Links to many sources of scholarships & information

Distinguished Scholarships: From the Provost's Council on Student Honors

UM Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships

International Institute Fellowships & Grants 

Center for Education of Women (CEW) Scholarship: Students of any gender can apply, over 40 scholarships available from $1,000 to $10,000

Emergency Assistance

Center for Education of Women Critical Difference Grants

Developing Transferable Skills through Psychology and LSA Programs

Much of the information below primarily refer to minors and specialty of study. If you are interested in taking on a second major, it is best to refer to the LSA homepage or other schools (Kinesiology, Engineering, or the Ross School of Business.)

For some distribution requirements, you may be tempted to finish them as soon as possible. However, if you are interested in taking on a minor, specialty of study, or even a second major, proficiency in an area-mathematics, writing, or language-may be required. Soon after you realize you want to complete an additional program, you will want to know which of the other requirements you will need to fulfill and create a plan to finish. Below are a list of helpful quick tips to consider.

Math 115/116: For nearly all of the quantative minors, such as business, economics, or computer science, proficiency in at least Math 115 is assumed. Upper-level coursework in Mathematics may also be encouraged, if not required.

English 225 and up: For nearly any major, being able to write and communicate well is a valued skill. For some minors, like the Minor in Writing, it is required. Taking writing courses as they fit into your schedule and requirements can be a good way to develop such skills.

Foreign Language: While fourth-term proficiency in a foreign language is a requirement in LSA, further study and practice in a foreign language can be attractive if you are considering a minor/major, study abroad, or internship/career either domestically or internationally.