Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Registration and Grades

Questions about enrollment and registration? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Important: Students must attend classes from the beginning of the term. The department may have students dropped if they do not attend initial classes.

All sections of courses meet from the first day of classes, even if the discussion or lab section is scheduled before the first lecture. Students must attend class from the beginning of the term or risk being dropped from the class.

After the first day of classes, contact the instructor of the enrollment section for information about registration.

Be aware that Professors CANNOT give permission to register for discussion sections that are at capacity. Only the GSI can do so.

Reserved Seats

Some seats are reserved for Psychology, BCN, Cognitive Science, and Neuroscience majors.  Please note, if you have not completed your pre-requisite coursework, or seen an advisor to officially complete the declaration process, you are not considered a Psychology, BCN, Cognitive Science, or Neuroscience major in Wolverine Access. Additionally, some seats are reserved for students of specific class standing; senior, junior, sophomore, and freshman.

Class standing is determined by the number of credits earned toward a degree, and includes the number of credits being taken in the current term:

Freshman: fewer than 25 credits

Sophomore: 25 through 54 credits

Junior: 55 through 84 credits

Senior: 85 credits or more

Most seats reserved for declared majors will be released once registration appointments for rising Juniors have occurred.

First Year Seminars

Seats are opened gradually throughout the summer to give opportunity for registration to all first year students. These seminars CANNOT be overenrolled and  Professors CANNOT give permission. 

Independent Study Courses

All independent study courses require instructor consent. Students are responsible for locating and contacting a faculty mentor. Before registering for a 400-level letter-graded independent study course (Psych 420, 421, 422, or 423), students must complete an electronic application and upload a proposal. Once submitted, this information will be emailed to the instructor listed on the application for approval, and then approved by the SAA Committee.

Proposal instructions and online applications are available on the Independent Study Course page.

Students interested in Honors or Senior Thesis must submit an application.

Transfer Credits

If your course hasn't been reviewed by an advisor, see the Transfer Credit Equivalency Table and refer to our Transfer Policies and Procedures

If the transfer course is listed on your transcript as "Psych 101X, 201X, 301X," etc., you will need to have a Psychology Academic Advisor evaluate this course.

If meeting a pre-requisite with a transfer course which is listed as "Psych 201X, 301X" etc., call or come to the SAA Office once you are eligible to register.

Permissions will be given if:

  1. The course you wish to take has an open seat* (we cannot enter permissions if a course is closed).
  2. You have access to a computer and can use the permission immediately. We recommend coming into the SAA Office to complete this process — we will not be able to assist you via email.

*If seats are reserved for declared majors and you are not declared, you must wait until seats are released to request permission to enroll.