- Career Exploration
- Event Photos & Videos
- Honors Program
- Major in Psychology or BCN
- Newsletter Archive
- Preparing for Graduate School
- Psychology T-Shirt Photos
- Registration and Grades
- Service Learning Opportunities
- Student Organizations
- Student Resources
- Subject Pool
Whether you want to begin your career search by applicable major, a growing field, or personal interest, there are a number of resources available to help you get started.
Several of the resources below for job hunting assume that you are obtaining a bachelor's degree or have one already.
Consider your other major(s)/minor(s), research, and experiential coursework when thinking about possible careers - major does not equal career.
Careers for Psychology Majors
Many of the jobs listed are in the mental health sector, but there are also plenty of jobs open to psychology majors in fields like research, marketing, HR, law and justice, and teaching.
PsycCareers (Primarily for students who have APA membership)
Michigan College Advising Corps (Application usually opens in January or February)
Teach For America (Application usually opens around August; several deadlines in place)
City Year (Application usually opens around September; several deadlines in place)
Americorps VISTA (Application times vary; many areas of interest)
University of Michigan Careers (Search by career interest, campus, and work time)
Pure Michigan Talent Connect (Jobs in the State of Michigan)
Networking with Recruiters
One of the standard first steps toward getting an interview or job on campus is to participate in a career fair. The Career Center and Opportunity Hub offer yearly career fairs where you will meet representatives from companies looking to hire UM students.
Job Search Materials
- Free Business Cards from the Alumni Association
- $9 Nametag from the Career Center
- How to talk with recruiters (UM Career Center)
- Tips for Talking with an On Campus Recruiter (Central Piedmont Community College)
Following up after career fair/interview:
Networking Using Social Media and UM Communities
How to Network on LinkedIn:
- Tip Sheet on Networking with LinkedIn
- Dos and Don'ts of LinkedIn
- How-To Videos and Tip Sheets for LinkedIn
- How to use the LinkedIn Alumni Tool
- LinkedIn Jobs
Here are some examples of possible groups on LinkedIn to join and network within for Michigan Psychology students: