Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Study Abroad

You may wish to combine environmental study with travel to an ecosystem or culture unlike any in North America. If so, a study abroad program may be your best option for field experience.

To satisfy the Practical Experience requirement, a Study Abroad course/program must:

  • be elected for 3 or more credit hours,
  • be or have a field component (non classroom) of at least 2 weeks in duration,
  • have content related to the environment,
  • be pre-approved by a PitE Advisor

The Center for Global and Intercultural Studies (CGIS), located in G155 Angell Hall, coordinates the Michigan-affiliated study abroad programs. Particularly popular with PitE students are the EcoQuest New Zealand and ICADS Costa Rica programs, where students spend an entire semester abroad.  CGIS maintains M-Compass, a searchable database where students can search and apply for study abroad opportunities. If you are interested in participating in these programs in order to receive in-residence credit, you must apply to the program through CGIS.

CGIS application deadlines are at the beginning of the term, often the second week of classes. Please refer to CGIS's website for application deadline for your program of choice.

You may also consider non-Michigan programs. Organizations such as School for Field Studies (SFS), the School for International Studies (SIT), and Wildland Studies offer environmental field courses around the globe. Credit for these program is transferrable, and is considered Out of Residence (OOR).

*IMPORTANT* Before committing to any program, you MUST make sure that they transfer to the University of Michigan from the institution from which they are offered.  You can make sure courses are transferrable by submitting the form here

Important things to know before you go: LSA is now requiring all students studying abroad to register their travel through the Travel Registry.

If you plan to study abroad through a program not administered by CGIS (e.g. Wildlands Studies), you must registry your travel before you leave. 

The university strongly encourages faculty and students to sign up for travel abroad health insurance.  The insurance costs $1.25 per day and also provides political evacuation, which was has been critical for the evacuation of faculty and staff.  Links and instructions for signing up for the travel registry and insurance follow.

Students should also visit the U-M Travel Warning and Travel Restriction Locations. It is advised that students meet with the Program Coordinator when considering studying abroad to ensure that that the program selected meets concentration or minor requirements.