- Twenty-four (24) hours of graduate-level course work, approved by the student's advisor.
- At least 18 hours of this work shall be in philosophy.
- Up to 6 hours of this work may consist of graduate-level work in a field other than philosophy, but connected to the student's work in philosophy.
- Courses completed to satisfy the distribution requirements require a grade of B+ or better.
- As a part of the course work specified under 1., above, all M.A. students are required to complete three distribution units:
- 1 unit in logic, epistemology, metaphysics, philosophy of language, philosophy of mind, or philosophy of science
- 1 unit in ethics, social and political philosophy, or aesthetics
- 1 unit in the history of philosophy.
Procedures for certification of credit are the same as for the Ph.D. program, except that certification is at the Master's level. Terminal M.A. students can obtain certification at the Master's level only through regular course work in a 400-level or above course.
- Only 3 credits of Philosophy 596 may be counted toward the program unit requirement.