The Friends of the University of Michigan Museum of Paleontology, more commonly known as “The Friends,” are a group united by their love of fossils. Founded in 1971, “The Friends” support the activities, research, and study of fossils at the University of Michigan Museum of Paleontology. Contact us at: FUMMPinfo@gmail.com for more information. Follow on twitter: @FPaleontology
Meetings held at RMC - Research Museum Center at the University of Michigan, 3600 Varsity Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48108.
Who We Are
- Opportunities to assist with the research of top-notch scientists at the University of Michigan’s Museum of Paleontology.
- Engage in public outreach at the annual ID Day at the museum.
- Exclusive access to our field trips in limestone quarries, where the general public is not allowed.
- Learn how to properly identify, prepare, and preserve fossils.
Types and Fees:
An individual or family membership is $20 annually. A family membership allows multiple members of the same family to join (with only one vote at meetings/elections).
Meeting Schedule 2020
The FUMMP meets the first Friday of every month (unless otherwise noted). Meetings are held from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the Research Museum Center on Varsity Drive at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor (December and August meetings held elsewhere). There are no meetings in January. Meetings dates, times and locations are subject to change. Please contact the FUMMP in advance to confirm the schedule.
- March 6th
- April 3rd
- May 1st - Annual Meeting/Elections
- June 5th
- July 10th
- August - Summer BBQ/Auction
- September 4th
- October 2nd
- November 6th
- December - Holiday Party/Auction
FUMMP has assisted with the following:
- The mastodon display by Dr. Daniel Fisher in the Exhibit Museum at the University of Michigan.
- The use of 3-D modeling software and a digital camera to document specimens in the invertebrate lab.
Fossils of the Michigan Basin Specimen Database
This searchable archive of fossils currently consists of ~1500 images for ~700 taxa. It showcases Michigan Basin fossils from our members’ private fossil collections and select specimens from the University of Michigan collection, including type specimens.
This archive also links to Deep Blue and the Paleobiology Database as educational resources for the fossils within.
It can be accessed via the following URL: http://michiganbasinfossils.org