Make a difference in Detroit with the Applebaum Internship Program, which offers hands-on experience, funding, and professional development to students interning in non-profits and arts organizations in the city and the surrounding areas.
Which students are the best fit for the program?
Participants in the Applebaum Internship Program are LSA students interested in doing work with impact. They see the vitality of Detroit and the surrounding area and want to play a part in nurturing it. They bring a wide variety of career interests—in coding, marketing, communications, social media, grant management, community outreach, museum collection management, and other areas.
What are the projects?
Applebaum Internship Program participants are not fetching coffee; they're empowering teenagers by teaching code, they're thinking strategically about how to diversify a volunteer pool, and they're managing a historic museum collection, to name a few projects.
What are the benefits?
The program is designed to ensure you’re able to contribute your best work while getting the most out of the experience.
- Participants are eligible to receive $2,500 to $5,000 each in merit- and need-based funding for the summer.
- Interns receive pre- and post-internship professional development.
- Interns participate in a networking event with alumni working in the region.
- Speaker presentations give interns an insider look at important issues facing Detroit.
- Each intern takes part in a professional mentoring relationship.
- Reflection exercises give you the full scope of your new skills.
- Students become part of a cohort with their peers, meeting and connecting at the program kick-off and throughout the summer.
Please note: in order to be eligible for the funding, students must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident returning as an undergraduate LSA student in fall 2018. For more information, contact LSA-OppHub@umich.edu.
How does the application process work?
First, you must apply for (and secure) one of the Applebaum Internship Program eligible positions. Those awarded positions will receive further information about applying for funding.
What’s the deadline for applications?
2019 deadlines will be posted here. Check back in early January for more updates!