- United States
- United Kingdom
- STEM & Biomedical
- Undocumented Students
The Michel David-Weill Scholarship provides an American student from a partner institution with $80,000 to cover the full cost of attending The Paris Institute of Political Studies (“Sciences Po”) for a two-year master’s degree. The scholarship covers tuition and fees, housing, books, and other living/travel expenses. Sciences Po is one of the leading French universities in human and social sciences in France and is especially known for its Economics programs. Sciences Po offers Master’s program with English instruction. Prior knowledge of French is not required. Named for Michel David-Weill, an alumnus of Sciences Po and former chairman of Lazard Frères investment bank, the scholarship is awarded each year to one student who exemplifies the core values embodied by Michel David-Weill: excellence, leadership, multiculturalism, tolerance, and high achievement.
Institutional Endorsement: The Michel David-Weill Scholarship requires institutional nomination; students may not apply directly to the scholarship. Please see this page for U-M nomination instructions.
U-M Contact: Henry Dyson, Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships (ONSF)
U-M Application Deadline: the last Monday of October by 12:00 noon.
Full-time U-M enrollment as a senior
U.S. citizen at time of application
Between the ages of 19 and 25
Minimum GPA of 3.7
1) Students interested in applying for U-M’s nomination for this scholarship should contact Henry Dyson in the Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships to discuss their eligibility and potential master’s programs at Sciences Po.
2) Please submit each of the following to ONSF at email@example.com no later than the fourth Monday of October 12:00 noon.
- A PDF of the online application available on the Michel David-Weill Scholarship website.
- A 1000-word limit personal statement explaining the applicant’s proposed Master’s program at Sciences Po, how this program fits into the applicant’s current and future plans, and the applicant’s fit with the MDW selection criteria.
- A copy of your resume or CV
- A graded research paper from an upper-level course related to the applicant’s proposed Master’s program.
- Please combine each of the above items into a single PDF, in the above order, entitled “LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_MDWApplication”
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty and/or research mentors who can speak to the applicant’s ability to thrive in the proposed Master’s program and fit with the MDW selection criteria should be sent directly to ONSF at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than the fourth Monday of October.
Prior to requesting letters of recommendation, you must fill out the ONSF Student Waiver form, found here, and submit directly to us at email@example.com. You will then fill out the FERPA Release for Letter Writers and submit that form to each of your letter writers when asking them to write a letter of recommendation for you. Please advise your recommenders that their letters of recommendation should be entitled "StudentLastName_StudentFirstName_AdvisorLastName" and emailed directly to ONSF at firstname.lastname@example.org with "MDW Recommendation" in the subject line.
Applicant’s must simultaneously apply directly to their proposed Master’s programs at Sciences Po no later than December 15th. Please see the appropriate program page for specific application instructions.
The U-M nominee will be selected in early November and will work with Henry Dyson to complete the nomination package for the national competition. Finalists will be interviewed in New York in February and the scholarship recipient will be announced in March.