City Year is a service program that places members primarily in educational and youth programs in cities across the US for one year. The program places a large emphasis on working with youth in at-risk communities. Besides primarily working with youth, members also might participate in community service projects (such as rebuild) within the areas they are serving.
Institutional Endorsement: These opportunities do not require U-M endorsement. Applications are submitted directly to AmeriCorps.
Application Deadline: Depending on your chosen path, there will be differing deadlines and application processes. Please visit here for more information.
U-M Contact: Henry Dyson, Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships (ONSF)
· Applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 25
· Have a college degree, some college, high school diploma, or GED
· Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
· Able to commit to completing 1700 hours of full-time service over 11 months
· Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program
· Applicants must undergo a criminal history check. In cases where a criminal offense appears, the circumstances will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
· For a list of eligibility documents, please click here.
· For additional information regarding eligibility, please click here.
· To initiate your application, please click here.
· When applying, applicants have the option to choose to serve at one of 28 sites throughout the country or where applicants are most needed.
o To learn more about City Year locations across the U.S. where there is an extraordinary need for young people to serve and mentor students, click here.
· Applicants will need to provide the names and contact information for two people that will serve as recommenders.
· For detailed application instructions, please click here.