Students admitted to the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, may apply to the Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars through the Michigan Learning Community application. Students will be guided to the Michigan Learning Community application after completing their online Housing application. Admitted students who pay the enrollment deposit will receive access to the online Housing Application in late March, or a few weeks after paying the deposit.
Students interested in applying to MRADS will be asked to complete several short answer questions. The questions are:
- The Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars (MRADS) aims to build a community of students from diverse backgrounds and academic fields and to expose these students to the interdisciplinary nature of research and the breadth of its applications. MRADS enhances our students’ undergraduate experience by providing them with a year-long, research experience with a faculty mentor, as well as an academic and social environment that supports their educational and personal growth. Based on this description of the program, please tell us why you would be a good candidate for membership in the MRADS next year.
- Students in MRADS participate in year-long faculty sponsored research experiences through the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP). Please tell us about areas of research in which you are interested. Feel free to include multiple interests in different disciplines. Research opportunities exist across the University including:
- Biomedical Sciences (Medical, Dental, Nursing, Public Health, Biomedical Engineering, Neuroscience, Genetics, etc.)
- Social Sciences (Business, Political Science, Economics, Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, etc.)
- Humanities (History, Art, Music, English, American Culture, Architecture, etc.)
- Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Aerospace, Computer, etc.)
- Physical Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Math, etc.)
- Natural Sciences (Environmental Science, Natural Resources, Animal Behavior, etc.)
- Please describe why you would like to participate in the residential Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars program, as opposed to the non-residential Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program.
For most students, the Michigan Learning Community application is due May 8th, 2018. If you receive your University Housing application after May 7th please contact us to see if MRADS is still accepting applications. For more information about applying, visit the Michigan Learning Community application instructions.
MRADS will not honor roommate requests made via the housing application. Additionally, Michigan Learning Commmunty applications take precedence over roommate requests. If admitted to an MLC, successful applicants' roommate requests may not be considered. Further, it is possible for one roommate to be admitted to MRADS and the other declined.
Students will be contacted about the status of their applications to all of the Michigan Learning Communities, including MRADS. If MRADS is the only program to which the student applied, the student will hear directly from MRADS regarding admission status. Students may only be admitted to one Michigan Learning Community; therefore students may not be contacted directly by MRADS if they applied to more than one program. Michigan Learning Communities review applications in the order of preference indicated by the student in their application.
Each year MRADS receives applications from more students than we can accept. For students that have not been admitted to MRADS and are still interested in research, consider applying to the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP). UROP is a non-residential program which connects students with faculty-sponsor research projects. MRADS is the residential affiliate of UROP. MRADS and UROP have separate admissions processes. MRADS and UROP work closely together.
Visit the Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars
If you are going to be in Ann Arbor and would like to schedule a visit to the Michigan Research and Discovery Scholars, please contact MRADS Associate Director, Amanda Loh, at email@example.com.