- Application and Database Services
- Consulting Services
- Desktop and Server Services
- Field IT Equipment Evaluation and Demonstration Program
- Password Reset
- Research Support
- Web Hosting
The university recognizes that members of the university community can be productive and efficient when accessing or maintaining sensitive institutional data from their personally owned devices, such as smart phones, tablets, and laptop computer. To provide guidance for this use, there is a new U-M policy: Security of Personally Owned Devices That Access or Maintain Sensitive Institutional Data (SPG 601.33).
The policy grants departments the discretion to be more restrictive than the policy when necessary to protect university data.
You are permitted to use personally owned devices when working with sensitive university data as long as you properly secure and manage your devices and follow these additional restrictions specific to the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts :
- Only current faculty, Graduate Student Instructors and Graduate Student Research Assistants, and permanent staff members may access or maintain sensitive institutional data using their personally owned devices.
- Greater than 4-digit passcode (if technically feasible).
- Follow University recommendations for travel restrictions including:
- Users must follow software licensing restrictions including software specific restrictions for user eligibility, permitted users, off campus use, export controls, and use on personal devices.
- Protected Health Information, Student Loan Application Information, and Social Security Numbers are prohibited from being accessed or maintained from personally owned devices.
To learn more about the policy and about securing your personally owned device(s), see University Data and Personally Owned Devices
As always, you should only access or maintain sensitive institutional data when necessary for the performance of your university-related duties and activities. You are expected to take all required, reasonable, and prudent actions needed to ensure the security and retention of sensitive university data.
If you have questions about the use of sensitive university data in LSA, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For more general questions about appropriately securing your device and about sensitive university data, please contact the ITS Service Center.