To apply to our program you will need to submit your application to the Rackham Graduate School. For your convenience, the Rackham Application Checklist will assist you in completing the steps in the application process. In addition to following the steps identified in the Checklist, follow the instructions that appear throughout the application. Please note that there are differences in requirements for domestic and international applicants. Following the instructions will allow the processing of your application to be handled with minimal delays.
The checklist may be found on this page: www.rackham.umich.edu/admissions/prospective_students_degree/applying/
Application materials are due January 10.
Timing of the Decision
The Graduate Faculty of Germanic Languages & Literatures (GLL) will review applications and make decisions on admission promptly after the admission deadline and you will be informed about the outcome of your application by email.
If you have questions about the application process (application requirements, GRE test score requirements, deadlines, status of your application's review), please contact our department by email at email@example.com or call 734.936.0150. Please note that the university is closed December 25-January 2.
If you or your recommender need technical assistance regarding the application or recommendation system, please email ApplyWeb at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the following information: user name, full name, email address, and phone number. Please allow 24 hours for a response.
Rackham Admissions provides information on its website about official transcripts, English language proficiency, how to set up a Friend Account, missing test scores, and incorrect information on your application record. If the information you are looking for on one of these topics is not found on Rackham's website, email your question to Admissions. Include the following information: intended graduate program, full name, and your birth date or UMID number.
Applicants are expected to meet two sets of requirements for admission: those of the Department of Germanic Languages & Literatures (GLL) and of the Rackham Graduate School.
Rackham's Requirements: View them here
- All applicants must have a U.S. bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide an official score report from either the Michigan English Language Battery (MELAB), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS), or the Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE). Applicants who have earned a degree from an institution where the language of instruction is English, (e.g. U.S., United Kingdom, Canada) are exempt from submitting a MELAB or TOEFL score.
Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures (GLL) Requirements:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores. We recommend applicants take the GRE Revised Test.
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 2 samples of academic writing that are representative of your current or recent research. Writing samples may be written in either German or English, though at least one should be in English and students are encouraged to submit writing that best demonstrates their intellectual capabilities.
- Three letters of recommendation*
* For International students, your letters of recommendation and your transcript(s) may be submitted in either English or German.
The application fee is $75.00 for domestic applicants (U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents) and $90.00 for international applicants (non-U.S. Citizens who are not Permanent Residents).
Application Fee Waivers
Rackham administers fee waivers. To qualify you must meet the requirements for a specific fee waiver listed on the following website. One Rackham administered fee waiver is allowed per applicant.
If you've participated in a Sneak Peek event hosted by the German Department, you may be eligible for a fee waiver from our department. Please contact email@example.com or call 734.936.0150.