- English Department Writing Program
- English Major
- English Minors
- Creative Writing
- English Honors Program
- Major/Minor Program Requirements
- Advising Information
- Download Undergraduate Forms
- Accelerated MA Program in Transcultural Studies
- LSA / UM Resources
- Undergraduate Newsletter
- Innovative Instruction
- Transfer Policies
Most businesses and organizations that allow internships require that the students receive some academic credit for their work (the students are not hired as regular employees of the company), and the English department is pleased to offer students English 321-Internship for one (1)credit (repeatable for up to four (4) credits). The stipulations and requirements are as follows:
- You must be a declared English major to receive internship credit from our department.
- You will receive one academic credit per approved internship experience, not to exceed a total of four credits.
- This credit counts as elective credit; it cannot be used to fulfill the department's core major requirements.
- You must apply for the internship at least three weeks before beginning your internship.
- To receive credit for the internship, you will register for English 321 in the term following your internship (this is typically done in the fall following spring or summer internship work).
You are also required to submit:
- A brief (c.5 pages) essay describing the kind of work you performed in your internship
- Contact information for your internship
- Samples of the work you produced
- A letter of recommendation from your internship supervisor
- We are compiling resources of successful internship placements. You can view these resources in 3200 Angell Hall. If it is appropriate, we will be contacting the organization for which you did your internship and asking them if they would be willing to accept other interns from our department on a case-by-case basis.
You may download an application for internship credit here.