- English Department Writing Program
- English Major
- English Minors
- Creative Writing Minor
- English Minor
- Creative Writing
- English Honors Program
- Major/Minor Program Requirements
- Advising Information
- Download Undergraduate Forms
- Accelerated MA Program in Transcultural Studies
- LSA / UM Resources
- Undergraduate Newsletter
Students interested in creative writing should begin with English 223-Creative Writing. English 223 provides an introduction to the reading and writing of poetry and prose and to the workshop method of critiquing student writing. After successful completion of 223, a student can declare the Creative Writing Minor. The minor is designed for majors in other LSA departments and schools at the University of Michigan, and is not open to English majors.
By the end of English 223, students will be able to choose their specialization (poetry or prose fiction), advance to the next level of coursework (323-Fiction Writing or 324-Poetry Writing), and declare the Creative Writing Minor. Each required course allows students to build skills in and awareness of the practice of either poetry or prose fiction.
The Creative Writing Minor course sequence is:
- 223 - Creative Writing
- 323 - Creative Writing: Fiction OR 324 - Creative Writing: Poetry
- 423 - Advanced Fiction Writing* OR 424 - Advanced Poetry Writing*
*423 and 424 will satisfy the ULWR
- 9 additional credits of English Language or Literature Courses. Students may include a creative writing course in the genre other than the one in which they are focusing.
How to Declare
After successful completion of English 223, students should schedule an appointment with an English advisor to declare and make a course plan. Students declared as Creative Writing Minors will receive priority registration for English 323 and 324, so it is important to declare the minor soon after a specialization is selected.
English Creative Writing Minor advising appointments can be scheduled at: Advising Appointments.
Director, Creative Writing Minor Program
3256 Angell Hall
email@example.com / (734) 763-6235