Skip to Content

Teaching Certification Requirements

This document is intended only as a summary. For complete information on requirements and procedures for certification, you should consult the current School of Education Bulletin which is available from the School of Education Office of Student Affairs (1228 SEB).

1. General Description

The secondary teaching certificate program in English has four categories of requirements:

The certificate enables you to teach the subjects of your teaching major and minor in grades 7-12. The secondary certificate may be earned either by remaining in LSA or by transferring to the School of Education after completing the first two years of undergraduate education. Whether you remain in LSA or transfer to the School of Education, you must apply for admission to the teaching certificate program. You can obtain the application materials from the SOE Office of Student Affairs (1228 SEB). To accompany your application in either case you will need to submit:

  • Transcripts of all previous undergraduate work
  • Three letters of recommendation, two from people who are in a position to judge your teaching potential, and one from a faculty member or teaching assistant (in English)
  • A personal statement about your educational and professional goals
  • Either ACT (American College Test) or SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) scores.

A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required for admission to the teaching certificate program, as well as junior standing (54 credits) by the time the admission would take effect. Applications are accepted and acted upon once a year. The deadline is January 15.

Transfers from other colleges and universities are subject to the same requirements as other University of Michigan students, though work done elsewhere may be counted toward the certificate if it has been evaluated by the Undergraduate Admissions Office's credit evaluators and hence appears on a University of Michigan transcript.

If you have a 3.5 or higher GPA, you may wish to apply to the English Department's honors programs. Interested students should contact Honors Director about the possibility of simultaneously participating in the Honors Program and receiving a teaching certificate.

2. General Requirements

The following courses are required for the teaching certificate program in any subject:

  • English 125 or equivalent;
  • An introductory course in psychology (Psychology 111 or 112; this is in addition to the Education School's course in Educational Psychology -- see section IV below).

A minimum of 130 hours of credit is required for graduation from the University with a teaching certificate. If you take courses in other non-LSA units besides the required Education courses, you will need even more hours for graduation from LSA to compensate for those non-LSA hours.

The requirements for the certificate itself are identical whether you remain in LSA or transfer to the School of Education. The only difference is that if you remain in LSA you fulfill that College's graduation requirements; if you transfer to the School of Education, you fulfill that School's graduation requirements. There are minor differences between the two including the fact that the School of Education does not specifically require proficiency in a foreign language. Also, the School of Education degree requires a full 12 hours in each of three distribution categories, including courses from two or more departments, which largely correspond to the LSA divisions of Natural Science, Social Science, and Humanities but vary in several specific ways. If you remain in LSA for your degree, and receive your certificate through the School of Education, you need to complete 8 hours in each category, including courses from two or more departments.

3. Requirements in English

The requirements in English are basically the same as those for the General Program in English. However, in addition to the regular major requirements, students pursuing a teaching certificate must elect a course in language (normally English 305, 308, 309, or 406), and a course in Peer Tutoring (normally Sweetland Course 300). Please remember, by taking SWC 300 you cannot apply any other upper-level writing course toward your major.

General requirements include the prerequisite: English 298-Introduction to Literary Studies and 30 English credits at the three and four hundred level to include: one course in Pre-1642 literature, two additional courses in Pre-1900 literature, a course in American Literature, a course in Identity and Difference, and a course in Poetry.

Adjustments in content, but not total hours, are made for students who wish to earn a teaching certificate while pursuing the English Honors Program. Please see the chart below for a comprehensive list of English requirements. Courses may be taken in the half-term for reduced credit, but you still must reach a total of 30 hours through additional electives.

4. Requirements in Education

30 hours of credit in Education are required (Education 302--10 credits; Education 304--4 credits).

Other course requirements in Education include:

  • Education 391 (Educational Psychology)--3 credits
  • Education 392 (Education in a Multicultural Society)--3 credits
  • Education 402 (Reading and Writing in the Content Areas)--3 credits (Required by the State for certification in all teaching fields).
  • Education 440 (The Teaching of English)--3 credits. ED 307 must be elected concurrently.
  • Education 307 (Practicum I and II)--4 credits (2 credits each semester prior to student teaching term).

Student teaching is normally done the last or the next to the last semester before graduation; Education 391, Education 392, Education 402, Education 440, and both Education 307 courses are prerequisites to student teaching. All education courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.

Students with majors in English may request either a Fall or Winter cohort sequence (as shown below), but due to the large numbers of students, a preferred cohort sequence cannot be guaranteed.

Fall Cohort sequence (30 credits total)
Fall Winter Fall
ED 392 (3)ED 402 (3)Practicum I/ ED 307 (2)(or, if applicable, alternative field experience in home dept.) Subject Matter Methods (3)ED 391 (3)Practicum II/ ED 307 (2)(or, if applicable, alternative field experience in home dept.) Student Teaching/ ED 302 (10)Student Teaching Seminar/ ED 304 (4)
8 credits 8 credits 14 credits
Winter Cohort sequence (30 credits total)
Fall Winter Fall
ED 392 (3)ED 402 (3)Practicum I/ ED 307 (2)(or, if applicable, alternative field experience in home dept.) Subject Matter Methods (3)ED 391 (3)Practicum II/ ED 307 (2)(or, if applicable, alternative field experience in home dept.) Student Teaching/ ED 302 (10)Student Teaching Seminar/ ED 304 (4)
8 credits 8 credits 14 credits

5. Requirements in a Minor Subject or Field

Required courses for a minor in a subject or a field usually total 20 to 26 hours; specific requirements for the various subjects or fields are contained in information given in the School of Education Bulletin. Minors are available in the following subjects or fields to accompany an English major: Anthropology, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Economics, Environmental Studies, French, German, Health, History, Latin, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Russian, Sociology, and Spanish. (You can not, of course, count both a major and a minor in English toward certification.)

Notes :

  • Double majors between English and the other fields in the list of minors above are possible, except for Anthropology, Computer Science, and Russian, which do not offer majors for certification. A double major may entail extra credit hours beyond those normally needed for graduation and certification, since you must meet all the requirements for both subjects or areas. Transcripts seen by a potential employer indicate a double teaching major if both sets of requirements have been met.
  • Courses used for distribution requirements may also be used toward the minor for LSA students. They are also double counted between the major/minor AND distribution if you transfer into the School of Education.

For more information contact the English Undergraduate Office, (734) 764-6330 in 3187 Angell Hall or the School of Education Advisory staff, (734) 615-1528 in 1228 School of Education Building.

English Requirements for Teaching Certification