Skip to Content


AP Credits

  • Will the university accept both the A.P. Literature and A.P. Language exams?

    • Yes.  If the student receives a 4 or 5 on either exams, three credits of English will transfer to their transcript; and if the student receives a 4 or 5 on both exams, six credits of English will transfer to their transcript.

  • Do either of the A.P. Literature or Language exams count as the lower-level writing requirement?

    • No, neither A.P. exam score will satisfy the lower-level writing requirement for the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts. They will simply count as English department credits.

  • Do either of the A.P. Literature or Language exams count towards the English major or minor?

    • No, neither A.P. exam score will count. They will simply count as English department credits.

  • What is the benefit?

    • Transferring the six credits will mean that the student will have to take six less credits (or two less classes) when they get to campus. This will allow the student to take more classes in which they are interested.

Transfer Credits

  • What is the process to transfer credits to U-M?

    • Existing credits/classes that are transferable are available on this website. The classes listed will automatically appear on your transcript as English classes once you transfer them over.

    • If you are interested in transferring classes that are not on the transfer credit website, you may email: with your request, which should include: the college/university, the name and number of the course, and the corresponding syllabus. The English department is not required to accept all requests for transfers.

What can I do with an English degree?

  • Some of our majors have gone into the following careers: Writing/Editing (creative writing, journalism, freelance, technical writing), Education (elementary, middle, high school, college and university), Publishing (editing, advertising, sales, advertising), Public Relations (research, writing, editing, media), Law (corporate, government, public service), Business (management, sales, marketing, human resources, insurance claims/underwriting).

How do I declare?

  • Please visit the English department on the 3rd floor of Angell Hall (3187) to see an advisor open from 9am-5pm Monday through Friday. You may make an appointment here or visit an advisor during walk-in hours. Please see our Advising Information page for more information, including our walk-in advising hours.

How do I apply for the Honors program?

  • Admission to the Creative Writing Subconcentration will occur during winter term and is limited to juniors who have taken or are enrolled in English 323/324 (or 423/424). The application process will involve the submission of the application and a writing sample. Acceptance will be based on an evaluation of the writing sample by a committee of three readers.

  • Applications for the Creative Writing Sub-concentration program are accepted every February. Please see the application form for exact dates and instructions. For more information, please visit our Creative Writing page.

How do I apply for the Creative Writing sub-concentration?

  • Applications are accepted every October and February. Students may apply as early as their sophomore year though the majority of students generally apply during winter term of their sophomore year or fall term of their junior year. Students should take the English Major prerequisite, English 298, prior to submitting their honors application.

  • To achieve a degree with Honors, a student must successfully complete the honors thesis and maintain a 3.5 major GPA and a 3.4 cumulative GPA.

  • For more information, please see our Honors page.

Internship credit

  • Most businesses and organizations that allow internships require that the students receive some academic credit for their work (the students are not hired as regular employees of the company), and the English department is pleased to offer students English 321 (Internship) for one (1) credit, repeatable for up to four (4) credits.

  • Click here for the internship application.

  • For more information, please see our Internship page.

Where do I go for grade grievances?

  • The policy is as follows: 1. Consultation with Instructor; 2. Formal Complaints to Grade Grievance Officer and Director of Undergraduate Studies (DUS); 3. Review of the case by the Grade Grievance Committee.

  • For more information , please see our Grade Grievance policy.

How do I obtain a teaching certification?

How to take a class twice for credit?

  • Many of our classes are repeatable for credit. That information is available on the LSA Course Guide. If you take a class that is not repeatable for credit, you may fill out a form, obtain the signature of either current or previous instructor of the course being repeated, and return this form to the English Undergraduate Department, 3187 Angell Hall for our consideration.

  • For more information, please see this form.

Petitioning the Department

  • Special requests made to the Department for exceptions to the requirements of the English major may be submitted to the Undergraduate Administrator, 3187 Angell Hall.

  • Instances in which a student would submit a petition include: requesting transfer credit from universities in the U.S. or abroad to be applied to the major, or from another department within the College of LSA, along with courses within the Department that weren’t previously approved with the same or similar course content.

  • For more information, please see our Petition form.

Undergraduate English Association (UEA)

  • The Undergraduate English Association is an academic and social supplement to the English curriculum. The group is designed to foster development and communication between University of Michigan undergraduate students and faculty, the English department, and the community.

  • From career panels to poetry readings, our print newsletter (Fortnight), to class-choosing parties, and movie nights--not to mention our annual literary magazine (Xylem)--the UEA is dedicated to enhancing the experience of both English concentrators and undergraduate students of all majors.

  • For more information, please see UEAs Maize Pages profile.