- Affiliated Faculty
- Graduate Student Instructors
- Graduate Students
- Faculty Job Openings
- Faculty Publications
- The Green Shore
- How Conversation Works: 6 Lessons for Better Communication
- Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tales, A Norton Critical Edition
- American Night: The Literary Left in the Era of the Cold War
- The Story Within Us: Women Prisoners Reflect on Reading
- Comparative Early Modernities: 1100-1800
- The Cambridge History of the English Novel
- How to Be Gay
- The Selvage: Poems
- Literature: Craft and Voice (2nd Edition)
- Trauma and Documentary Photography of the FSA
- The Cambridge Companion to Nineteenth-Century American Poetry
by Nicholas Delbanco and Alan Cheuse
Bringing writers to readers brings readers to writing.
Today’s students do read—we know that they read a significant amount of email, text messages, web pages, and even magazines. What many do not do is read in a sustained way. Many do not come to college prepared to read long texts, nor do they come with the tools necessary to analyze and synthesize what they read. Nick Delbanco and Alan Cheuse have proven in their own teaching that when you improve students’ ability and interest in reading, you will help them improve their writing. A new part 1 in this edition frontloads information for students on both the writing process and the critical use of sources.
Bringing writers to students, brings students to writing.
Literature: Craft and Voice is an innovative Introductory Literature program designed to engage students in the reading of Literature, all with a view to developing their reading, analytical, and written skills. Accompanied by, and integrated with, video interviews of dozens of living authors who are featured in the text, conducted by authors Nick Delbanco and Alan Cheuse specifically for use with their textbook, the book provides a living voice for the literature on the page and creates a link between the student and the authors of great works of literature. The first text of its kind, Literature: Craft and Voiceoffers a more enjoyable and effective reading experience through its fresh, inviting design and accompanying rich video program. Digital support is provided through CONNECT Literature which will be totally integrated with the Blackboard CMS.