- Majors and Minors
- Departments and Units
- LSA Degrees
- LSA Requirements
- LSA Academic Policies
- Dates and Deadlines
- Academic Integrity
- Engaged Learning
- What Will You Do with an LSA Degree?
Most unpaid internships require you to receive academic credit to make you eligible. If you would like to earn credit in LSA for your internship, there are generally two options:
- Credit through a college-wide one-credit course (UC/ALA 225)
- Credit through the department of your major
UC/ALA 225 – Undergraduate Internship (1cr)
The purpose of ALA 225 is to integrate academic and experiential learning through off-campus internships. This course is designed to ensure students fully prepare to engage in all learning aspects of their internship and gain credit for the academic requirements associated with the course. Students will be expected to develop a reflective and critical understanding of their experiences in three stages:
- Before leaving campus: Attending preparation classes and learning the best way to approach critical aspects of their experience to maximize learning potential.
- During the internship: Communicating with peers and faculty via blog posts and Skype interviews: There will be asynchronous open forum problem-solving dialogues and live one-on-one discussions.
- Upon return to campus: Students will demonstrate their ability to synthesize their internship and academic experiences, concentrating on the active learning outcomes and how they will translate to career goals.
To enroll in ALA 225, students will secure their own internship positions (in the U.S. or globally), follow the steps to obtain an override into the class, attend 2 required pre-departure meetings before their internship, fulfill required online course projects — which include blogging during the internship — and produce a polished end-product presentation.
Important: Students must register for this class BEFORE they begin the internship. No permission will be given to students who have already completed an internship. Students must be returning to U-M to continue their studies in Fall 2016 to be eligible to enroll in ALA 225.
Internship length requirement:
- Summer minimum: 25 hours/week and 6 weeks
- Fall/winter minimums: Requirements vary; please contact LSA Internship Program Staff directly to verify that your internship meets acceptable minimums
How to enroll: To obtain permission to enroll in ALA 225, follow these steps:
- Secure an internship position.
- Register yourself and your internship position in the LSA Internship Network — Experiential Learning Module; Follow prompts to complete the following:
- Confirm your name, unique name, id# and contact info in your LSA IN profile.
- Provide the name of the company/organization providing the internship, the position title and the contact information for the person in charge of the hiring process.
- Upload the offer letter confirming your position.
- Complete ALA 225 / Internship Information form with details about your internship.
- Check umich email for override to enroll in ALA 225.
When position information submitted in LSA IN has been approved, an override to enroll in ALA 225 will be sent to umich email. Use override to register for ALA 225 in Wolverine Access as a Fall 2016 course, before the internship begins.
- Students will then receive an electronic copy of the syllabus and also be informed which pre-departure workshops they should attend.
- Register position information in the LSA Internship Network before internship begins
- Attend 2 pre-departure meetings in April 2016
- Submit 6 blog entries during internship in Spring/Summer 2016
- Complete evaluations in LSA IN (self, position, and employer) — September 2016
- Submit slide deck for 10 minute presentation of internship experience — September 2016
- Attend one reunion meeting in September 2016
For more information, please download the following documents:
Learn how to 'Register An Internship' into the LSA Internship Network (students only)
Read about the prerequisites, requirements, and enrollment instructions for UC/ALA 225