Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

After You Apply

After you have been accepted to an ELI Summer Program, you should start preparing to travel to Ann Arbor and begin your study with us. Click on a topic below to learn more.

Visas and Legal Information

In order to enter the U.S. to study, you will need two documents:

  1. An I-20 with appropriate start date -- The start date should be the first date of your summer program. Visit the ELI Summer Program Dates and Deadlines for this information.
  2. A U.S. F-1 visa

U-M STUDENTS: If you have been admitted to a U-M degree program for the fall, immediately after you are admitted to an ELI Summer Program, you should contact your home department to change the start date on your I-20 to the first day of ELI Summer Programs. [Visit the Dates and Deadlines dates page.]

OTHERS: If you will not be attending U-M in the fall, ELI will process your I-20 document for summer study. You will receive further information after you are accepted into a program.

NOTE: If you need an F-1 student visa, you should begin the application process as soon as you receive your I-20 with an appropriate start date. You should also check your nearest U.S. embassy for information on regulations and wait times for visa applications.

If you have any further questions regarding start dates and I-20s, please contact us at

Arrival in Ann Arbor

New students should arrive at least a few days before the program start date in order to arrange housing and get acquainted with the area. All participants must arrive before their program start date and appear at the first day orientation.

ELI Summer Programs are intensive, and attendance at all class sessions is mandatory. You should NOT plan to move, shop, get a driver’s license, host visitors, travel for internship interviews, or take sightseeing trips on weekdays during your summer program.

NOTE: All participants must arrive prior to the program start date. Late arrivals are permitted only in rare cases of illness or other emergencies. 

Ground Transportation to Ann Arbor from Detroit Metropolitan Airport

Ann Arbor is approximately 25 minutes by car from Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport (DTW). Visit Campus Information for information about transportation options from DTW to Ann Arbor.

Maps and Local Transportation

The University of Michigan Central Campus is located in the heart of downtown Ann Abor. Visit the U-M Campus Information site for maps and information about local transportation.


If you need to stay in a hotel in or near Ann Arbor when you arrive, visit the U-M Campus Information site

University of Michigan Identification Card (Mcard)

As soon as possible after you arrive, you need to get your university identification card (Mcard).  You will need your Mcard to check into a residence hall, eat in a residence hall, use the athletic facilities, check out books from the library, and use the computing facilities. There are two Mcard centers, one on Central Campus and one on North Campus.  Visit Student Life for directions to these centers.

In order to get your Mcard, you will need to show a picture ID (passport or driver's license) and the letter of admission from your department, college, school, or the ELI. Visit the Treasurer's Office for more information about the Mcard.

Health Insurance

All international students attending the University of Michigan are required to have health insurance. Additional information will be provided during the ELI Summer Programs first-day orientation.

More information about health insurance can be found on the University of Michigan International Center’s website.



The ELI does not make housing arrangements for our summer programs students. Therefore, you must arrange for your own summer housing accommodation prior to your arrival on campus.
Finding housing in Ann Arbor can be time-consuming, so you should immediately start looking for a place to live as soon as you have been accepted to any U-M program. Below is some information to help you get started.

On-Campus Housing

The best way to get information about on-campus housing is by visiting the following U-M Housing websites:

Summer On-Campus Residence Halls for Undergraduates

Mosher Jordan Hall and Stockwell Hall are designated on-campus residences for undergraduate students enrolled in the spring/summer semester. Both are co-ed residence halls and conveniently located near many university buildings and the Central Campus Recreation Building. Mosher Jordan has single and double-room occupancy while Stockwell has single, double and triple-room occupancy.

Housing for Graduate Students and Students with Families

Located on North Campus are the Northwood Community Apartments (NCA), university-owned apartments and townhouses for U-M students with spouses/partners and children. Spring/summer term housing units are available from May to August and some units may be subcontracted.

For additional information, visit U-M Graduate Student Housing.

Off-Campus Housing

Off-campus housing refers to any housing not owned and operated by the University. It includes small-group housing, such as apartments, houses, rooms, and co-ops. Summer subleases often are available at reduced rates. Students who want to live off-campus should refer to the Shared Housing and Sublets section of the U-M Off-Campus Housing website.

In addition, if you need more information about off-campus housing (apartments, houses, and rooms in Ann Arbor), you can contact the Housing Information Office. Housing advisors are often available during office hours to help with your housing needs and concerns.


An alternative to the residence halls is student cooperative housing (“co-ops”), managed by the Inter-Cooperative Council (ICC). There are group houses and apartments scattered throughout North and Central campuses. North Campus attracts a large graduate student population and a sizable international student population as well. Central Campus co-ops cater to a large, diverse crowd that is mostly undergrads. For more information on Ann Arbor co-ops, visit the ICC website.

Ecumenical Center

Located near Central Campus is the Ecumenical Center and International Residence (ECIR), a unique living experience for international students and scholars. The mission of the ECIR is to be a reconciling international, interfaith, living/learning community across the lines of religion, ethnicity, and culture. The ECIR often has housing available. For information, please visit the ECIR website.

U-M Meal Plans

A meal plan is mandatory for students in residence halls and optional for others.

Visit U-M Dining for more information about the meal plan available in the summer term.

U-M Resources for Students with Families

Life in Ann Arbor

You can find plenty of information about Ann Arbor's shopping, services, and entertainment online. Here are a few places to get started: